The world has evolved from the days when in vitro fertilization (IVF) was viewed as a strange treatment for infertility that resulted in what was then referred to as “test-tube babies.”
In vitro fertilization, or IVF for short, is now widely accepted and unquestionably one of the main options couples consider when talking about having children and infertility.
For couples who want to start a family, infertility can be traumatizing in and of itself.
It is true that IVF isn’t always the best option for treating infertility, unless there is a complete tubal obstruction, which makes it “nearly” impossible for sperm to reach the eggs. When all other methods, including artificial insemination and fertility medications, have been exhausted, IVF is considered.
Who is IVF Ideal For?
IVF is ideal for the following group of people or families:
- Women with damaged or blocked fallopian tubes.
- Older patients.
- Women with low ovarian reserve.
- Men with infertility issue.
- Women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Patients with endometriosis
- Women with premature ovarian failure
Advantages of IVF
Below are the advantages of IVF:
- IVF can be of benefit to single women and same-sex couples (women).
- IVF can assist diagnose fertility problems.
- IVF has been around since 1978 and has a safe track record.
- Embryos can be used to screen for genetic or inherited diseases.
Disadvantages of IVF
Below are the disadvantages of IVF:
Cases of multiple pregnancies
Higher chance of ectopic pregnancy.
An IVF cycle may be unsuccessful.
IVF treatments can be emotionally and psychologically tasking.
IVF treatments are expensive.
Average Cost of IVF in Nigeria
In private hospitals, clinics, or facilities in Nigeria, the typical cost of IVF is between N700,000 and N900,000 for a single cycle, and between N1.2 million and N1.4 million for a two-cycle plan. In Nigeria, a three-cycle IVF procedure costs between N1.6 million and N2.3 million. From clinic to clinic, these costs differ.
This information was first published on nyscinfo.com DMCA PROTECTED.