The Higher National Diploma [HND] is a program offered typically by Nigerian Polytechnics, lasting two years which is subdivided into four semesters. It is a higher education qualification that, like a bachelor’s degree, is available in many countries. It was initially used in England and Wales in 1920, and other countries such as Argentina, Malta, Nigeria, Ghana, and Kenya have since adopted it. In general, the grade limits for this certificate vary depending on the criteria of the school.
However, if a student chooses to study part-time, it may take longer. It also builds on the OND (Ordinary National Diploma), also known as the National Diploma. Polytechnics and other technical institutions are regulated by the National Board for Technical Education.
Moving To The U.S. With Higher National Diploma [HND]
As an HND holder, you can move to the United States. All that counts is that you match the criteria and are eligible. As an HND holder, you can work or pursue your studies in the United States as long as you are eligible and meet the requirements.
Applying For Masters Degree In The U.S. With HND
As an international student wishing to pursue a master’s degree abroad, you can apply to many universities in the United States using your HND credential. In the United States, there are universities that recognize HND certificates and graduates with a 2:2 or 3rd-class degree. There are also funding opportunities for those who want to study abroad.
- University of Texas, Rio Grande Valley
- University of Maryland
- University of New Haven
- Northern Arizona University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Georgia Southern Western
- University of Alabama
- Florida State University
- Marquette University
- University of Kansas
- Colorado State University
- University of Colorado- Boulder
- University of Kentucky
- Humboldt State University
- Wichita State University
- University of South Carolina
- University of North Carolina, Charlotte
- University of Minnesota, Duluth
- Western Illinois University
- University of Central Missouri
- University of Missouri, St Louis
- Georgia State University
- University of Massachusetts,
- Auburn University of Montgomery
- University of Memphis (Computer Science dept.)
- University of South Dakota
- East Tennessee State University
- North Dakota State University
- University of Vermont
- Cleveland State University
- Western Washington University
- University of Central Florida
- Bowling Green State University
- Old Dominion University
- University of Houston, Clear Lake
- Central Michigan University
- University of Hawaii, Manoa
- Jacksonville State University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Tulane University
- Tufts University
- California State University, Ponoma
- University of California, Merced
- Clark University
- Western Kentucky University
- Louisiana Tech University
- University of Northern Colorado
- Utah Valley University
- University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Illinois State University
- University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire
- Arkansas State University
- Southern A & M University
- Eastern Illinois University
- Indiana State University
- Georgia College and State University
- Youngstown State University
- Montana State University
- Marshall University
Qualification Requirements To Pursue Mater’s With HND Certificate In The U.S.
There are colleges in the United States that accept HND holders in the same way that they would a student with a bachelor’s degree. Before a student may be evaluated for admission, these universities frequently compare standardized scores like GMAT/GRE with IELTS/TOEFL. If a student achieves exceptional results in these tests and also has relevant work experience, they will be considered for admission.
Tips For Applying For A Master’s In The U.S. With HND
Although having a good GPA will boost your chances of studying abroad, colleges in the United States that accept students with an HND diploma generally examine standardized test scores like GMAT/GRE in addition to your IELTS/TOEFL. If you intend to pursue a master’s degree abroad with your HND qualification, you must first analyze your transcripts. You will also transmit your transcripts to World Evаluаtоn Sеrvсе (WES) through your school. The three types of evaluations are as follows:
1. Course Evaluation
This includes a course-by-course qualification evaluation. The report recognizes all of the certificates that were supplied and assigns a value to each record. It comprises a demonstration of the portrayal of schooling durations, courses, credit hours, assessments, and degrees earned in the general education system as far as the instructional framework in the United States is concerned. It should also be mentioned that schools in the United States use semester credits and a grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.
2. Documentation evaluation
This examination entails evaluating the lists of educational institutions (s) and educational credentials obtained in a foreign country via the Document Credential Evaluation Report and their U.S.This evaluation exercise is only accepted by a few institutions and colleges.
3. Equality (Evaluation of Professional Work Experience)
This evaluation is generally used for migration purposes, and it is for persons who want to apply for H-1B visas in the United States.
Documents Required For A Master’s Degree Application In The U.S.
The documents required to apply for a master’s degree in the United States are listed below:
- Resume or CV
- Mark sheets and pass certificates
- Work experience letters (if any)
- Proof of funds
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Research proposal / any portfolio (for any particular course)
- Academic transcripts
- Standardized tests like GRE and GMAT
- Proof of English language proficiency scores like SAT and TOEFL
How To Get Scholarships With Your HND Certificate
As an HND holder, there are several strategies you can use to improve your chances of receiving a scholarship to further your education in the United States. Among them are the following:
- Consider obtaining further certifications: Whether you have a degree or an HND certificate, you should not stop there. Take specialized short courses and earn credentials. It promotes personal development and broadens your knowledge. This shows devotion and commitment to your field and gives you an advantage.
- Obtain the necessary job experience: The scholarship committee takes work experience into account, therefore applicants should earn the appropriate job experience through internships, volunteer roles, or other means. It provides you with hands-on experience in your field.
- Networking: The significance of networking cannot be overstated. Attending professional fairs, webinars, and conferences can help with networking since you can meet with other like-minded people and gain recommendations from them.
- Participating in research projects demonstrates dedication to your chosen subject of study and gives you an advantage when applying for scholarships.
- Create an outstanding application: An excellent application will go a long way toward determining whether or not you will receive the scholarship. When applying for post-graduate schools, having a good application that appropriately explains your strengths, experiences, and previous accomplishments gives you an advantage during the application process.