The worst thing that can happen to any Prospective Corps Member (PCM) is to arrive at the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp without the compulsory documents for camp registration. For this reason, I am going to show you the list of things needed for NYSC camp registration, so that you may know what to take along with you when reporting for the 1 year mandatory service.
If you report to NYSC camp without the compulsorily required items, there is no way you’ll be registered. The officials will turn you back to your house; and you know how painful that can be if that happen to you. Because I don’t want that ugly incident to befall you, I’ll be showing you the list of things needed for NYSC camp registration. To make this concise and handy, I am going to classify the needed items into two categories: (a.) Basic and (b.) Survival.
NB: The basic required items are compulsory, meaning that without any of them, you will not be allowed register in the NYSC camp, while the items listed under survival category are not compulsory but essential for personal comforts and survival.
A. Basic Requirements
(every item listed under this category is compulsory. If you arrive in the NYSC camp without any of them, you will not be registered by the camp officials)
1. Student ID Card or Final Year ID Card: You need to go with the original and two(2) photocopies. If you don’t have school students’ ID card, kindly go to the Student Affair Directorate in your institution to request for temporary I.D card. They will give it to you, but at a cost.
2. Statement of Result: You need to go with the original and four(4) photocopies. If you do not have your statement of result, do not bother to come to the NYSC camp. In addition to that, persons who graduated from Polytechnic should report with both ND and HND results. Medical Doctors, Pharmacists, Optometrists or other medical profession, need to report to camp along with the original of registration certificate with the Nigerian Medical Council, Pharmacist Board or Optometrist Registration Council and evidence of completion of houseman-ship or internship.
3. NYSC Call-up letter: Never forget your call-up letter! You need to go with the original and four(4) photocopies. NYSC will send this letter to you few days after you have completed the online registration. The call-up letter not your property, NYSC will need to sign on it and take it back from you. DO NOT laminate your call-up letter. NYSC will reject a laminated copy.
4. NYSC Green Card: You should to go with the original and four(4) photocopies. Green Card is the online print-out after you have completed the NYSC online registration. Also, Do NOT laminate it! Note the Green Card and call-up letter are both to be printed out in colored.
5. Recent Passport Photograph: Please, go with eight(8) copies. The background color ought to be white or off-white.
6. Medical Certificate of Fitness: Go with two(2) copies of medical certificate of fitness obtained from any government hospital or military clinic in Nigeria.
7. Foreign trained graduates should go to camp with all the original documents uploaded during online registration for verification. Also, they need to go with the original transcript of their certificate.
Having shown you the list of things needed for NYSC camp registration, let me show you what you need for your survival in camp.
B. Survival Items
Items listed under this category are not mandatory but they are essential for survival and for personal comfort. If you really want to enjoy NYSC camp, consider going to camp with items listed below.
1. White round-necked T-shirts: This outfit is worn everyday throughout the 21-days stay in the NYSC camp. NYSC will give you only 2, but these two are of poor quality and may not size plus you won’t be wearing only 2 shirts for 3 weeks in camp.
2. White Shorts: NYSC will also give you 2 pairs of shorts, but of poor quality and may not size you. You need like extra pairs so as not to be stranded if it tears. Also, you may not be able to wash them daily.
3. Plain white Tennis shoes & White socks: NYSC will provide this, but it’s advisable you get extra one pair for yourself.
4. Tea or beverages: This is very important for those who would not like the camp watery tea. Some people collect camp tea and then add some spoons from their own tea to make it more tick.
5. Toiletries: Antiseptics, insecticides, towel, sanitary pads, pampas etc. These are essential to help protect you from infections and skin infections.
6. Mosquitoes Net: This is very important, I know you wouldn’t like to go to camp and fall sick. mosquitoes net will protect from mosquitoes and other camp insects. Take one net with you and rope to tie it to your bunk.
7. Cash: You need to go to camp with some cash, there are too many things that cost money. Things like, food, charging phone, taking pictures, laundries, etc. Go with at least N20,000, and also with your ATM card,because there are ATM machines in some camp.
8. Torchlight: Don’t say you will use your phone touch! Torchlight is very important; make sure you buy rechargeable ones.
9. Waist Pouch: waist bag or pouch is essential. This will serve as your money keeper, and also as locker for important items such as phones, money, ID card, keys, ATM cards, etc.
10. Torchlight: We have to repeat this because it is very important, especially when you will be preparing for morning drills at 4:00am and at night after lights-out hour.
11. Padlocks: You need padlock to lock your boxes and bags in order to prevent camp thieves from gaining access to your properties. There are many people who lost many valuable things to the NYSC camp thieves. I know you wouldn’t want to fall victim.
12. Your phone and power bank: This is important for communication. If you don’t have a power bank, please get one.
13. Other essential things you are: bed sheets, pillow, pain relief drugs, antibiotics. Don’t got camp with pillow, bucket and other big thing to avoid overloading yourself. They sell most of them in camp market, so you can buy from there instead of overloading yourself. We wish you the best of luck. See you in camp!
If you have any question, kindly drop it in the comment section.
Top Posts of the Week=> How to apply for NYSC/CBN loan
=> CBN promises 7-year loan for Corpers
=> How to write a CV - samples
=> 10 places to get loan in Nigeria without collateral