The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) is dedicated to fostering innovation for the sustainability and ongoing development of the Nigerian Communications Industry, in line with its strategic intent as encapsulated in the National Digital Economy Policy and Strategy (NDEPS 2020-2030) pillar 8 “Indigenous Content Development and Adoption”
In light of this, the Commission hereby extends an invitation to startups, tech hubs, investors, and the ICT ecosystem to take part in the third annual innovation competition, which will be centered around the use of indigenous digital solutions to close the digital divide.
A venue for demonstrating abilities and ideas in the ICT ecosystem will be the ICT Innovation Competition. This is done in an effort to inspire and encourage young people in Nigeria to work on creative telecom industry improvements that would help the country compete in the global market.
The Competition also aims to support homegrown approaches to closing the digital divide. The goal is to bring together tech hubs and techpreneurs to demonstrate their innovations and solutions in relation to the theme.
Developing Technology Hubs and startups participating in the competition must submit ideas that adhere to the following standards:
- The project should have a clear relevance to ICT/Telecommunication industry.
- Interested participants should be duly registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
- Proof of concept (feasibility of idea with diagram, algorithm, etc.).
- Novelty of the project.
- The pitch idea should demonstrate clear commercial sustainability and profitability framework.
- Team diversity and indigenous capacity to develop and support the solution.
NCC Annual Innovation Competition Benefits
- The top three innovative prototypes from Tech Hubs and Startups will get cash prizes worth N2 million, N1.5 million, and N1 million, respectively. The remaining competitors will get consolation awards.
- The competitors will have accommodations for four (4) nights.
- 9th to 15th Jan 2023 – Applications open online
- 23rd Jan 2023 – Shortlisted Tech Hubs and Startups announced
- 6th Feb. 2023 – Shortlisted Tech Hubs and Startups arrive DBI, Oshodi, Lagos Campus for a 2 day pinch
- 7th to 8th Feb. 2023 – A 2-day pinch/cxhibition and grading of constants by Panel of Judges at Digital Bridge Institute in Lagos
- 9th Feb 2023 – Award of pries/Closing ceremony
Documents Required for Application
- 4 page Executive Summary of the project concept
- 5-7 minutes video of the pilot project
- Names, contact details, passport photos and profile of all Team members.
How to Apply
- All applications should be ONLINE.
- There is no cost to enter the competition and you will retain full control and ownership of your technology.
- Each Team will register and submit the following documentation:
(a) 4 page Executive Summary of the project concept
(b) 5-7 minutes video of the pilot project
(b) Names, contact details, passport photos and profile of all Team members.
(c) Website (if available)