The Nigerian Navy (NN) is a branch of the Nigerian Armed Forces comprising thousands of personnel. Here we shall look at the requirements for joining the Nigerian Navy and how you can join.
If you are interested in joining the Nigerian Navy in 2020, take out your time to check out the Nigerian Navy Recruitment Exam Past Questions and Answers. After checking the past questions, you can come back to this page to continue reading or after reading this post, you check the past questions. The past questions will help you a lot.
The Nigerian Navy recruitment is not ongoing now, but the recruitment will begin from 7th Sept, and will run till 5th Oct.
Once the recruitment portal opens try to be among the first people to register. However, all candidates are required to complete the online application within the stipulated period to be shortlisted.
Nigerian Navy Recruitment, General Requirements
Below are the basic requirements for Nigerian Navy recruitment;
- Applicants must be a Nigerian Citizen by birth
- Must present O-level certificate (SSCE) with a 5 credit passes including Mathematics and English in not over two sittings.
- A certificate of National Service i.e. NYSC discharge certificate or Letter of Exemption.
- Applicants must not be less than 1.68 meters in height for a male, while female must not be less than 1.65 meters tall.
- All applicants must be between the age of 22 and 28 years by 7 January 2021. Except for Chaplains/Imams and Medical Consultants who should not be over 30 years and 40 years, respectively.
Nigerian Navy Recruitment for DSSC
Now, let’s look at the requirements for Nigerian Navy Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) recruitment.
- BSc or HND in the following disciplines:
Nautical Sciences, Criminology, Psychology, Sociology, Forensic Sciences.
Accounts and Budget
- BSc or HND in Accounting/Banking and Finance.
- Membership of professional bodies like ICAN, ANAN, ACMA, ACCA, ACA will be an added advantage.
- BSc in Theology form from either Catholic Mission or Protestant Mission.
- Applicants must have completed 2 years apprenticeship in Apostolic Ministry and be recommended from pastoral missions.
- Must be of male gender and fully ordained
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)/ B.Sc Ed in relevant fields.
- Holders of First Degree with PGD Education in the following fields are also eligible: English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Library Science (B.Sc), Computer Science, Guidance and Counseling, French Language, Chinese Language, Arabic Language.
- B.Sc or B Eng qualifications in the following fields: Naval Architecture/Ship Design, Mechanical/Marine Engineering, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Aircraft Engineering/Aeronautical Engineering.
- Membership of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) and Council of Registered Engineers of Nigeria (COREN) will be an added advantage.
Human Resource Management
- B.Sc, BA, HND or equivalent qualification in: Human Resources Management, Personnel Management, Public Administration.
- Membership of the National Institute of Management and other relevant bodies will be an added advantage.
- B.Sc or HND in the following fields: Cartography, Surveying/Geoinformatics, Geophysics, Physical Oceanography., Geology.
- Membership of the National Institute of Statistics or proficiency in Computer Programming/Data Analysis would be an added advantage. Applicants with B.Sc degree in Physics and Mathematics must possess a Post-Graduate Diploma in Land Survey to be eligible.
- BA/MA in Islamic Studies in: Islamic Studies (Qira’at), Islamic Studies (Hadith), Islamic Studies (Jurisprudence), Islamic Studies (Theology).
- A diploma in Counseling Psychology will be an added advantage.
- B.Sc or HND in the following fields, Mass Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Printing Technology, Cinematography, Television Production, Computer Technology (Desktop Publishing).
- Membership of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations will be an added advantage.
Information and Communication Technology
- B.Sc/B.Tech/ B.Eng in Computer Science or Computer Engineering. Priority will be given to candidates with relevant qualifications in: Website Development and Management, Networking and Network Administration, Programming Multimedia and Software Development, Server and Database Administration, Information and Cyber Security.
- Certification in relevant fields will be an added advantage.
The following medical fields with requisite entry qualifications are available:
- Consultants: Must be a fellow of National Postgraduate Medical College or West Africa College of Physicians or Surgeons. Must possess a current practicing license of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria. The candidate’s age limit is 40 years by 7 January 2021.
- General Doctors/Dental Surgeons: MBBS, MBBCh or equivalent. Must be fully registered by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria and possess a current practicing license.
- Pharmacy: B.Pharm/Doctor Pharmacy degree and full registration with the Pharmacy Council of Nigeria and have a current practicing license.
- Medical Lab Science: Either a BMLS or AIMLS/equivalent and be fully registered with the Medical Laboratory Scientist Council of Nigeria and possess a current practicing license.
- Dental Therapist: HND Dental Therapy must possess a current professional practicing license.
- Radiographer: Minimum of BSc/HND in Radiography with a current practicing license.
- Physiotherapy: B. Physiotherapy or BMR (Bachelor of Medical Rehabilitation). Must be registered with the Medical Rehabilitation Therapist Registration Board of Nigeria (MRTB) and possess a current practicing license.
- Optometry: Doctor of Optometry. Must be a fully registered optometrist, dispensing optician by the Optical Council of Nigeria, and have a current practicing license.
- Medical Records/Health Information Management: Minimum of BSc/HND required with a current practicing license.
- Dietician: B.Sc or HND Dietician/Nutrition. Must be registered with the Dietetics Council of Nigeria with a current practicing license.
- Clinical Psychology: BSc/HND in Clinical Psychology and Applied Psychology, with a current practicing license.
- Biomedical Engineer: BSc/HND in Biomedical Engineering with a current practicing license.
- Public Health Officer: BSc/HND in either Environmental Health or Community Health Information and Education. Must be fully registered with the Environmental Health Officers Registrations Council of Nigeria (EHORCON) and possess a current practicing license.
- General Nursing/Midwives: B.NSc RN/RM with a current practicing license. Post basic qualification in any of the following fields will be an added advantage: Accident and Emergency Nurse, Intensive Care Unit Nurse, Peri-Operative Nurse, Ophthalmic Nurse, Dialysis/Renal Nurse.
- Hospital Administration: BSc/HND Hospital Administration with a current practicing license.
- BA/HND in Music. Proficiency in any musical instrument will be an added advantage.
BA/HND in Physical & Health Education or Human Kinetics and Health Education. Proficiency in any physical sport will be an added advantage.
BSc/HND/B Eng in the following fields: Transport Management, Economics, Business Management or Marketing, Architecture, Catering/Hospitality Management, Civil Engineering, Quantity Survey, Structural Engineering, Estate Surveyor and Valuers.
- LLB and BL (Call to Bar Certificate and a minimum of 3 years post qualification experience required).
- LLM in International Maritime Law, International Law or Forensic Law is an added advantage.
How to apply for Nigerian Navy recruitment
Application for 2020/2021 Nigerian Navy recruitment will commence on 7th September, 2020. To apply visit the Nigerian Navy recruitment portal at joinnigeriannavy.com.
After applying successful applicants will be shortlisted for a qualifying aptitude test. The date and time of the aptitude test will be communicated via this website. See Nigerian Navy Recruitment Exam Past Questions & Answers (Free Download).