This grant provides support for Ecologists in Africa to carry out innovative ecological research. They recognize that ecologists in Africa face unique challenges in carrying out research; the grant is designed to support you in developing your skills, experience, and knowledge base as well as making connections with ecologists internationally. British Ecological Society supports excellent ecological science in Africa by funding services and equipment.
As part of the application process, two referees will be required to submit statements of support. If you are applying for travel funds, one of these must be from your host institution.
These statements should include why the project is important, what support will be given to you, and a statement that any equipment bought for the project will be made available for anyone in the host institution to conduct ecological research. British Ecological Society will automatically contact the referees using the email addresses provided in the application; both reference statements must be completed online before the application deadline. British Ecological Society cannot accept referee statements sent independently via email or by letter.
Apply For: CBN Non-Interest Loan 2023
About British Ecological Society
We were established in 1913 and we have been fostering the science of ecology ever since. We have 6,000 members around the world and bring people together across regional, national and global scales to advance ecological science. Membership is open to anyone, anywhere. Our vision is for nature and people to thrive in a world inspired by ecology. We rely on the commitment of hundreds of volunteers to help us – from the editors who work on our journals, reviewers in our Grants Review College, the teams behind each of our Special Interest Groups, the trustees and members of our Board.
Benefits of BES Grant For Ecologists in Africa
- The maximum value of a grant is £8,000 for research. An additional sum up to £2,000 may be requested to fund travel to help you develop connections with other ecologists outside your usual peer group. This must be requested at the application stage.
- Travel funds are available to spend time working with ecologists in the Global North where facilities and experience will help you on return to your own institution.
- Successful applicants also receive two years of free BES membership and free online access to our journals.
- Be a scientist and a citizen of a country in Africa or its associated islands, that is a ‘low-income economy’ or ‘lower-middle-income economy’ according to the World Bank categorisation.
- Have at least an MSc or equivalent degree
- Be working for a university or research institution in Africa (including field centers, NGOs, museums, etc.) that provides basic research facilities
- Carry out the research in a country in Africa or its associated islands
This currently excludes – Botswana, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Libya, Namibia and South Africa.
Interview Date, Process and Venue
- The application will be judged by a panel of reviewers on the basis of your personal qualifications, the scientific excellence, novelty and feasibility of the proposal, and the academic and non-academic impact of the planned research.
- You should demonstrate that you have made connections with ecologists in the Global North who can provide advice during the proposed project. If international travel is part of the application, you should demonstrate close links with those you propose to visit.
- Funding is available for any area of ecological science excluding research focused solely on agriculture, forestry, and bioprospecting. Please note that neither purely descriptive work nor studies that might be considered incremental will be funded.
- The proposed project could be part of an existing program but the application should be for a clearly defined piece of research. Researchers must also show how their research will have a wider impact beyond academia.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to British Ecological Society on bes.flexigrant.com to apply
For more details, visit BES website on www.britishecologicalsociety.org
Apply For: CBN Non-Interest Loan 2023