The Centre for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa (CDT-Africa) is a
World Bank supported centre of excellence for education and research at the College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The main aim of CDT-Africa is to serve as a platform for equitable access to interventions (medications, vaccines, diagnostics and complex interventions) and bring about sustainable development in Africa through high-quality capacity development for innovative therapeutic discovery.
The MSc program is designed to meet the highest international standards of training in Clinical Trials. It has a total duration of 18 months and 96 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) consisting of 59 ECTS general and specialized subject area modules, 2 ECTS seminar works, 5 ECTS attachments, and 30 ECTS MSc research project works.
About Addis Ababa University
Addis Ababa University is a national university located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. It is the oldest university in Ethiopia. AAU has thirteen campuses. Twelve of these are situated in Addis Ababa, and one is located in Bishoftu, about 45 kilometres away.
Benefits of CDT-Africa, Addis Ababa Universit MSc in Clinical Trials
- The Center will pay for any required registration fee and tuition fee
- The Center will have a modest funding to support research projects of all students
- Any student coming from countries outside Ethiopia will have a dormitory within Addis Ababa University and a net stipend of 10, 000 Ethiopian birr.
- Other national students are required to have sponsorship from their institutions.
Requirements for CDT-Africa, Addis Ababa Universit MSc in Clinical Trials Qualification
- A candidate must have a Bachelor Degree in healthcare or life sciences, such as pharmacy, public health, nursing, biology, doctorate degree in medicine or equivalent, doctor of dental medicine, and doctor of veterinary medicine. Those with Bachelor of Statistics are also eligible.
- Others with additional qualifications with or without Bachelor Degree in the life sciences may be eligible if relevant further qualifications are obtained. Examples of such qualifications are public health, MSc in pharmacy, MSc in pharmacology, MSc in statistics, and doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD).
- As this is a needs based program, it is desirable for applicants to have one or two years of service after last graduation with relevant program to have the exposure to real-life challenges prior to joining the program.
- A candidate who satisfies the above admission requirements will be required to take and pass oral examination.
- Applicants from government institutions may need to submit a sponsorship letter from their employing institution once they are shortlisted and succeeded the oral examination
- Applicants need to meet also the general requirements laid down by the School of Graduate Studies, Addis Ababa University.
Although all institutions within Africa are eligible to apply for the program, priority is given to the following institutions that are active national and regional partners of CDT Africa:
- Ethiopian government universities: Addis Ababa University, Bahir Dar University, Debre Tabor University, Jimma University, Mekelle University, University of Gondar
- Ethiopian government institutions: Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI), Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI), Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health, Ethiopian Food, Medicines and Health care administration and Control Authority (EFMHACA).
- Regional Universities: Makerere University (Uganda), Mbarara University (Uganda), Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (Tanzania), University of Malawi (Malawi), and University of Zambia (Zambia).
- National for-profit companies: Ethiopian Pharmaceuticals Manufacturing Factory (EPHARM), Addis Pharmaceutical Factory, Novartis – Ethiopia
How To Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Addis Ababa University on portal.aau.edu.et to apply
- Application must be submitted online using the graduate application portal of the Addis Ababa University Office of the Registrar. Details of the application process is available online.
- Additionally, CV and motivation letter must be submitted in electronic copy via email to Dr Tsegahun Manyazewal (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) copying Michele Joseph (email:email@example.com)
- Non-Ethiopian applicants should submit their documents using the email addresses stated above.
- Application deadline is 16 August 2023. Follow the Addis Ababa University Office of the Registrar website for the application deadline and Graduate Admission Test (GAT).
- Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
For more deails, visit Addis Ababa University website on https://ace2.iucea.org/index.php/cdt-africa-addis-ababa-university-msc-in-clinical-trials-2023-24d