For first and second-year undergraduate students who are passionate about computer science, STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program), formerly known as Engineering Practicum, is a 12-week internship.
The internship program has put a strong emphasis on giving students from historically underrepresented groups in technology chances for professional and technical growth. Our special internship gives you the possibility to bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and real-world professional experience by working on a software project with other STEP interns and full-time Google employees.
There are two program date options (which must be available for the entirety of the program):
May 22, 2023 – August 11, 2023
June 19, 2023 – September 8, 2023.
- First or second-year Bachelor’s student majoring in Computer Science or a related field.
- First year students have taken at least one college computer science course (AP or IB will meet course requirements). Second-year students must have completed at least two college computer sciences courses.
- Currently attending a university in North America.
- Returning to a Bachelor’s degree program after completing the internship in the summer of 2023 with at least two years left in their academic program.
- Possibility of finishing a 12-week full-time internship between June and September 2023 or between May and August 2023. (exact program dates will be provided at a later point in the process).
- To give interns the chance to complete a difficult technical project where they can build solutions and become familiar with projects of enormous scope and complexity.
- To assist interns in refining their technical abilities, boosting their self-assurance, and better preparing them for careers in computer science. Google engineers will provide coaching and mentoring to all STEP interns to help you make the most of your summer experience.
- To provide interns with an inside view at Google’s distinctive setting, neighborhood, and culture. Interns will have the chance to listen to technical seminars given by Google employees, obtain knowledge about how to prepare for technical interviews, become familiar with Google’s coding standards and tools, and acquire other skills that will help them succeed.
- To assist participants in forming meaningful friendships and personal networks with a variety of students who share their enthusiasm for technology and computer science.
How To Apply
Over the course of the fall, winter, and early spring, a group of recruiters will assess applications on a rolling basis. We appreciate your patience as we review your application. You are still in the process if you haven’t heard from us. We are unable to give specific status updates due to the amount of applicants.