The government of Ontario, Canada, has established the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) Program. The OGS program is a prestigious funding initiative designed to attract and support outstanding graduate students in their pursuit of academic excellence.
In this article, we will show you the key aspects of the OGS program, its application process, and the benefits it offers to aspiring scholars.
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, or international students with a valid study permit.
- For domestic students, OGS is open to Ontario residents. For international students, eligibility may vary depending on the university, but typically, they must be studying full-time at an Ontario university.
- Applicants must be enrolled in, or have an offer of admission to, a full-time graduate program (Master’s or Ph.D.) at an eligible Ontario university. The program must be research-intensive and lead to a graduate degree.
- Candidates must demonstrate academic excellence. This is usually assessed based on the applicant’s academic record, such as their grade point average (GPA) or equivalent, research experience, scholarly achievements, and potential for research contribution in their field of study.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a full-time program throughout the duration of the OGS award. The definition of full-time may vary between universities, but it generally requires students to be registered as full-time students as per their university’s guidelines.
- The OGS is usually awarded for a specific period, which may vary between universities. It can be for one, two, or three academic terms or for the full academic year. Applicants should review the specific award details provided by the participating universities.
How to Apply for Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) Program
To apply for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) Program, follow these steps:
1. Use the OGS application provided by your school, which is typically available in October. Check your school’s website or contact the Graduate Studies Office for the application form.
2. If you are applying to multiple graduate programs at different schools, you need to submit a separate OGS application for each school you’re applying to. This ensures that your application is considered for each program.
3. Get in touch with the Graduate Studies Office of the school you plan to attend. They will provide you with specific details about the application process, including any additional requirements or instructions particular to that institution.
By following these steps and reaching out to the Graduate Studies Office for guidance, you can ensure that you have the necessary information to complete and submit your OGS application accurately and on time.
*Visit the University Websites at https://cou.ca/resources/graduate-studies/
Remember, the application process and deadlines may vary slightly between universities, so it is essential to carefully review the information provided by each institution. Take note of any specific requirements or additional documents that may be needed for the OGS application.