Students currently enrolled in a tertiary academic institution in Nigeria are invited to apply for the UNESCO International 2021 Centre for Biotechnology (UNECO ICB) Scholarship.
The UNESCO International Centre for Biotechnology (UNECO ICB) was founded through a collaboration between the Federal Government of Nigeria and the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to conduct biotechnology-related research and training in three thematic areas: food security, tropical diseases, and bioresource conservation.
Under the yearly Scholarship programmes, suitable Nigerian students in tertiary academic institutions are asked to apply as part of the Centre’s human capital development programme. Each successful applicant will receive a one-year scholarship to cover tuition, housing, books, and living expenses.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is an international organisation that promotes education, science, and culture. It aims to promote worldwide cooperation in education, science, and culture in order to promote peace. UNESCO’s programmes help to accomplish the Sustainable Development Goals outlined in Agenda 2030, which was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 2015.
Governmental political and economic frameworks are insufficient to ensure the people’s long-term and true support. Peace must be built on mutual understanding and communication. Humanity’s intellectual and moral solidarity must be the foundation for peace. UNESCO develops educational resources to assist people in living as global citizens free of hatred and intolerance in this spirit. UNESCO aims to ensure that every child and citizen receives a high-quality education. UNESCO strengthens international relationships by supporting cultural heritage and the equal dignity of all cultures.
The UNESCO ICB Scholarship Award’s Purpose and Benefits
- Each year, there are three prize categories, each with 15 scholarships, including five awards for each of the Centre’s three theme areas: food security, tropical diseases, and bioresources conservation:
- Year of graduation: There are 15 bachelor’s degree scholarships, 15 master’s degree scholarships, and 15 PhD scholarships available (15 awards). A total of 45 scholarships will be given out each year.
Qualifications for the UNESCO ICB Scholarship Award
- Evidence proving the students are currently enrolled in a Nigerian tertiary academic institution for the prize category sought.
- Biotechnology or biotechnology-related disciplines, such as agriculture, biosciences, bioengineering, and others, pertinent to the Centre’s theme areas of food security, tropical illnesses, and bioresources conservation are among the courses of study.
- For MSc and PhD students, the current cumulative grade point average (CGPA) must be at least 2nd Class Upper (2:1) at the time of application or the most recently completed degree.
- First-year students and/or those at the top of their class will be given priority.
- Any academic institution may only get one (1) prize per scholarship category per subject area. For example, one university may not make more than one (1) MSc Scholarship in Tropical Diseases award.
Additional Award Requirements:
- The gender balance and national spread of the final prizes shall be maintained.
- Successful candidates will give an oral presentation of their final year project or thesis research findings at the Award Ceremony, which will be held at a predetermined location.
- The awardee will credit the Centre in all publications emerging from the research project / thesis (e.g. thesis, scientific paper, conference paper).
- All publications deriving from the research / thesis must be deposited with the Centre in both digital and hard copies by the awardee.
- All applications will be acknowledged, but only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted. The Scholarships Awards Committee’s decision is final.
Required Documents for the Application
The following documents must accompany each application:
- The student’s motivation letter
- Copies of your current student ID and your acceptance letter
- Copies of current certificates and academic transcripts, as well as a supporting letter on official letterhead from the current Head of Department (HOD) confirming the students’ academic standing.
- Candidates must make certain that their applications are comprehensive and sent by the deadline.
- Applications that are incomplete or sent after the deadline will not be considered.
How to Apply UNESCO 2021 International Centre
Interested and qualified individuals should send their applications to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for 2020 Scholarship.”