The West Africa Civil Society Institute (WACSI) was established to strengthen civil society’s institutional, operational, and knowledge capacities in the region, as well as to increase knowledge on civil society in the region. WACSI functions as a resource centre for West African organized civil society in terms of training, research and documentation, experience exchange, and policy discourse.
Through a research fellowship program, the Institute helps to recognize and develop the skills of young researchers. The research fellowship aims to provide young and passionate researchers with a variety of chances to advance their research skills while also contributing to the Institute’s activities. Fellows will collaborate with seasoned experts to investigate significant topics, trends, and challenges influencing the civil society environment. The fellowship provides fellows with the opportunity to obtain significant experience working in the civil society sector, as well as to create professional networks and develop skills that will be relevant throughout their careers. They will have a greater grasp of community needs and concerns and will be able to contribute to the development of successful strategies and policies to address these challenges. Fellows will also contribute to the collection and recording of best practices and models that may be replicated to promote regional development.
WACSI Research Fellowship 2023 Benefits
- Active participation in this fellowship offers aspiring academicians or fellows with a keen interest in civil society access to a wide range of benefits to help successfully conduct their research or engage in a knowledge documentation project.
- Fellows will be assigned to mentors who will guide them throughout the fellowship.
- The findings from the research and the overall experience of the fellows will be used to promote good practices in West Africa.
- Research fellows will receive monthly stipends and a research allowance from the Institute. During the research fellowship, candidates can get a wealth of opportunities and it provides students with the skills and knowledge to better plan for or advance their future careers.
- A certificate of completion will be provided upon satisfactory completion of all tasks and submission of all agreed deliverables.
- At least one WACSeries publication.
- Official recommendation from WACSI.
- Free access to WACSI’s civil society resource centre.
WACSI Research Fellowship 2023 Qualification Requirements
- The fellowship is open to all young researchers from West Africa. Other young researchers who are not from the region but are interested in understanding and documenting civil society praxis in West Africa can be considered.
- Candidates interested in working on topical issues related to civil society are highly encouraged to apply. The Institute is keen on having candidates interested on topics related to local philanthropy, localisation agenda, decolonisation of aid, capacity development for civil society in West Africa.
- Recent master’s or PhD students and/or graduates who completed their master’s or PhD studies within the last two years.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate strong analytical skills and the ability to perform independent research.
- Interested applicants should be able and ready to cover all costs related to the fellowship.
- Applicants must be able to communicate fluently either in English and/or French. French speaking candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Research Fellowship
3 April 2023: Application opens.
21 April 2023: Deadline for receipt of applications.
27 April 2023: Shortlisted applicants are notified by email.
3 May 2023: Interview with shortlisted applicants.
9 May 2023: Selected candidates will receive feedback on their applications.
1 June 2023: Beginning of the research fellowship. Selected fellows can however discuss start dates per their specific cases.
Documents Required for Application
Interested candidates should submit the following:
- A motivation letter stating their duration and theme of interest
- A curriculum vitae
- A synopsis of not more than one page on the specific theme of interest you would be working on during your fellowship
- Sample of an authored article or paper. Provide evidence of any published works if available.
April 21, 2023
[maxbutton id=”13″ url=”https://hire.peoplehum.com/jobs/cba0b8e4-1a9d-4df3-95ce-14c63e35dc39/6762e4c3-8612-4a34-9131-a2e5e730b9ba?source_name=WACSI%20Website&source_type=Social” text=”CLICK HERE TO APPLY” window=”new” nofollow=”true” ]