The City of Cape Town offers bursary opportunities to selected students each year. The financial support covers the cost of registration, examinations and class fees for their formal studies. The City is calling on interested residents in Cape Town who are registered at accredited academic institutions in South Africa to apply for these external bursaries. The application period is now open and closes on Friday, 8 September 2023.
The City of Cape Town invites applicants who meet the following requirements to apply:
- Applicants need to be a South African citizen residing within the boundaries of Cape Town
- Applicants should possess their Grade 12 final or mid-year results with an average of 65% and above
- Applicants need to provide a copy of first, second or third year academic transcript
- Applicants need to be registered for full-time study at an accredited tertiary institution and should be studying an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification in one of the approved City of Cape Town scarce skills fields of study
‘Every year, the City provides selected aspiring students with financial assistance to further their studies. We look forward to selecting another group of ambitious students. I encourage those who meet the criteria to make use of this opportunity. In many cases, some of the recipients of these bursaries eventually join the City of Cape Town team and it is for this reason that we award the financial assistance to students who are already interested in one of the scarce skills identified by the City,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Corporate Services, Alderman Theresa Uys.
Apply For: CBN Non-Interest Loan 2023
The bursaries also include capped allowances for study aid, transport and meals. In some instances where a proven need exists, the City may also cover a capped residence allowance, funding permitting.
Below is a list of the various field of studies within the 2024 City of Cape Town Scarce Skills List categories:
- Accounting (CA and Cost Management)
- Artisan Training
- Contract Management
- Data Science/Analytics (Statistics, Computer Science)
- Public Accountability
- Engineering (various fields, including Industrial Engineering)
- Environmental (Specialists, including Air Pollution and Water Quality)
- Fleet Management
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Information Systems and Technology
- Legal (various fields)
- Organisational Psychology
- Renewable Energy (Solar)
- Project Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Technical Training/qualification in Electricity/Energy/Refrigeration/Electronic/Process Control and Operations
- Transport Management
- Urban Design, Landscape, Planning, Surveying and Architecture
To apply, residents can download an application form https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Apply/ [Copy and paste the link on your browser]
https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Apply/Jobs-and-opportunities [Copy and paste the link on your browser] or obtain the form from any City library or walk-in centre. Completed forms and supporting documentation must be submitted to any of the walk-in centres by Friday, 8 September 2023.
Below is a list of the City walk-in centres across Cape Town:
- Bellville Civic Centre Walk-in Centre: Voortrekker Road, Bellville
- Brackenfell Walk-in Centre: Corner Paradys and Old Paarl Road
- Cape Town HR Employment Counter: Concourse Level, Civic Centre
- Parow Walk-in Centre: Corner Tallent Street and Voortrekker Road
- Plumstead Civic Centre Walk-in Centre: Corner Victoria and Main Road
- Strand Civic Centre Walk-in Centre: First Floor, Human Resource Division, corner Main Road and Fagan Street Strand
Importantly, the external financial support is not available to City employees, or any student who already receives some form of financial assistance.
For more information on the City’s career assistance and skills development programmes, go to: https://www.capetown.gov.za/Work%20and%20business/Jobs-and-skills-development/Youth-careers [Copy and paste the link on your browser].
Residents who do not have access to the internet can visit their local library to access SmartCape, or their local subcouncil office where a staff member can assist them to register on the City’s Jobseekers database and highlight the opportunities currently available.
Apply For: CBN Non-Interest Loan 2023