Applications are being accepted for Impact Amplifier’s Africa Online Safety Fund.
Over the past ten years, there has been a significant rise in internet usage in Africa, with over 520 million people, or 40% of the population, now having access to the internet. This has created numerous new possibilities for socioeconomic growth, with one of them being the potential for the internet economy to boost Africa’s GDP by almost $180 billion by 2025.
Grants will be given by the Africa Online Safety Fund to groups that deal with one or more of the safety concerns the internet facilitates.
Transformative, Maturing, and Catalytic are the three funding types available through the Africa Online Safety Fund. The more expansive, multi-geographic, and/or possibly very large number of beneficiaries, as well as scalable as a solution, transformative projects are meant to be. The goals of the Maturing initiatives are to test theories on a bigger scale, incorporate fresh concepts into ongoing projects, and engage new audiences. The Catalytic initiatives are meant to be more focused, localized, and possibly only of a cultural nature.
- Applicants can be public benefit organisations, private or from the public sector. No individual applicants will be considered.
- The Fund is open to organisations throughout Sub-Saharan Africa but is prioritising Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, and Ghana.
- Only completed applications will be considered.
Benefits of Impact Amplifier Africa Online Safety Fund
The Transformative grants will be a maximum of $50,000, Maturing will be up to $25,000 and the Catalytic Grants will be a maximum of $10,000. Beyond fitting your project into the category descriptions provided, Organisations cannot apply for more funding than 50% of its annual budget.
The primary criteria that will be used to select successful applicants, includes:
- INNOVATION AND REPLICATION – what is the level of novelty in the intervention/service? Can it function as a model for other interventions? Does it replicate other successful online safety interventions from different geographies?
- SOCIAL IMPACT – what is the scale of the online safety problem being addressed? What is the potential social impact of the intervention? What is the potential impact if the intervention is scaled beyond the current plan? Can it in fact be ramped up? (Is it cost effective, sustainable, and replicable?)
- POTENTIAL FOR SUCCESS – how likely is the intervention to achieve its stated goals?
- MANAGEMENT TEAM – what is the strength and experience of the management team and the precedent set by the team in terms of cooperation, achieving goals, and beneficiaries served?
The first phase of the application process is open from 1 March to 30 April. The shortlisted applicants will be announced by 31 May. The finalists will be selected by 15 July, 2023.
- FINANCIAL EFFICIENCY – is the funding requested an efficient use of resources? How does the amount requested, scope of the problem to be addressed, and beneficiaries to be reached compare to other applicants?
- SUSTAINABILITY – can the intervention planned become financially sustainable beyond this grant? If so, how and to what scale?
How to Apply
Visit Impact Amplifier on survey.zohopublic.com to apply
There will be two steps to the application procedure. All prospective organizations must fill out a brief application form for stage one. Click here to apply.
Everyone who is shortlisted for the application procedure will be able to finish the second stage. All applicants who have been shortlisted will be given direct access to the information and requirements for this step.
[maxbutton id=”13″ url=”https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/wzB3yy” text=”CLICK HERE TO APPLY” window=”new” nofollow=”true” ]