The World Bank Winter Internship Program (BIP) provides highly motivated individuals with a chance to learn about the World Bank’s purpose and work. Individuals can contribute new perspectives, innovative ideas, and research experience to the Bank’s work while enhancing their skills in a diversified environment through the internship. Furthermore, it is an excellent opportunity to add practical work experience to CVs.
Internships are offered in development operations as well as other business units such as Human Resources, Communications, Accounting, and so on; however, availability during a specific internship period is determined by business needs.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Candidates must hold an undergraduate degree and be enrolled in a full-time graduate study programme (pursuing a master’s degree or PhD with intentions to return to school full-time) to be eligible for an Internship.
- There are no age restrictions.
- It is necessary to be fluent in English. French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, and Chinese are all useful languages to know. Other abilities, such as computer skills, are beneficial.
- We embrace diversity in the workplace and urge all competent persons, especially women, from a variety of professional and academic backgrounds to apply. Our goal is to find and hire the best people on the planet.
Operations (Front Line) in the following fields:
Human development (public health, education, nutrition, population)
Social sciences (anthropology, sociology)
Natural resources management
Private sector development, and other related fields;
or Corporate support in the following fields: economics, finance, human development (public health, education, nutrition, population), social sciences (anthropology, sociology), agriculture, environment, engineering, urban planning, natural resources management, private sector development, and other related (Accounting, Communications, Human Resources Management, Information Technology, Treasury, and other corporate services).
All Interns are paid on an hourly basis by the WB, with a travel allowance of up to USD 3,000 available at the discretion of the manager. Only transportation expenses (airfare) to and from the duty station city can be included in these travel expenses. Interns are responsible for arranging their own lodging. Most Intern opportunities are based in Washington, DC, with a few others in WB foreign locations, due to business needs. Internships are usually for a period of four weeks or more.
The WB Internship is offered twice a year: in the spring and in the fall.
- Summer Internship (May–September): Each year, the application period runs from December 1 to January 31.
- Winter Internship (November–March): Applications are accepted from October 1 to October 31 each year.
All applications must be submitted electronically and within the specified timeframe. (Please note that we do not accept applications by email.)
Before starting work or an unpaid internship at the WB, J1 visa holders must obtain a G4 visa in another country.
- Take your time to complete your application and ensure that all of your personal information is correct. The following papers will be required to be uploaded:
- You’ll be prompted to create an account and enter your email address. Make sure your email address is spelled correctly, as this will be our primary means of communication with you regarding your candidacy.
- You must complete your application in one sitting, and you will be able to submit it only when you have uploaded all required documents and answered all questions (all questions marked with an asterisk-*- are required).
- To avoid a system timeout, please finish the application within 90 minutes.
- Make sure to include your entire phone number (country code, city code, and number).
Required Documents for World Bank Winter Internship
Before submitting your application, please upload the following documents (which are required):
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Statement of Interest
- Proof of Graduate Degree Enrollment
Each file should be no more than 5 MB in size and in one of the following formats: doc,.docx, or.pdf.
Please double-check that the filenames of the documents you’re sending don’t contain any special characters like â->&#â, etc. The best files to upload are PDFs.
You will not be able to make any modifications or adjustments to your application once it has been submitted.
You will receive an email confirmation with your application number after you submit your application.
How to Apply
If you are interested and qualified, visit the World Bank Summer Internship 2021 website for further information and submission of application.