We shall look into the names of state governors in Nigeria and the political parties they belong.
Nigeria has a total of 36 States and a Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja. Each State has a governor, only Abuja has Minister of FCT instead of a governor.
According to the Nigerian constitution, a person shall be eligible for the office of State Governor in Nigeria if;
- He/she is a citizen of Nigeria by birth,
- Be at least 35 years of age,
- Is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party.
The constitution limits State governors to only two terms of four year terms in office.
Names of state Governors in Nigeria and their parties
Below is a list of the 36 States in Nigeria and their current governors and political party they belong;
1. Abia: Dr Victor Ikpeazu, PDP.
2. Adamawa: Jibrilla Jindow, APC.
3. Akwa Ibom: Emmanuel Udom, PDP.
4. Anambra: Willie Obiano, APGA.
5. Bauchi: Mohammed Abubakar, APC (awaits court’s decision).
6. Bayelsa: Douye Diri, PDP.
7. Benue: Samuel Ortom, APC.
8. Borno: Kashim Shettima, APC.
9. Cross River: Prof. Ben Ayade, PDP.
10. Delta, Ifeanyi Okowa, PDP.
11. Ebonyi: Dave Umahi, PDP.
12. Edo: Godwin Obaseki, APC.
13. Enugu: Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, PDP.
14. Ekiti: John OluKayode Fayemi, APC
15. Gombe: Inuwa Yahaya, APC.
16. Imo State: Hope Uzodinma, APC (Supreme court declared him winner).
17. Jigawa: Alhaji Muhammad Badaru, APC.
18. Kaduna: Nasirel Rufai, APC.
19. Kano: Umar Ganduje, APC.
20. Katsina: Aminu Masari, APC.
21. Kebbi: Atiku Bagudu, APC.
22. Kwara: Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, APC.
23. Lagos: Babajide Sanwo-Olu, APC.
24. Nasarawa: Abdullahi Sule, APC.
25. Niger: Abubakar Sanu-Lulu Bello, APC.
26. Ondo: Rotimi Akeredolu, APC.
27. Ogun: Dapo Abiodun, APC.
28. Osun: Ademola Adeleke, PDP (Tribunal declared him winner)
29. Oyo: Seyi Makinde, PDP.
30. Plateau: Rt Hon Simon Lalong, APC.
31. Rivers: Nyesom Wike, PDP.
32. Sokoto: Aminu Tambuwal, APC.
33. Taraba: Mr. Darius Ishaku, PDP.
34. Yobe: Mai Mala Buni, APC.
35. Zamfara: Bello Matawalle, PDP.
36. Abuja F.C.T: Mohammed Bello is the FCT Minister
As it stands, APC controls majority of the states in Nigeria while PDP won few other states especially in the Southern region of the country. See, Salaries of State Governors in Nigeria.