Salary of Nigerian State Governors (see full details)
Do you want to know how much the Nigerian State Governors are being paid monthly? This post will reveal the Nigeria governor salary structure and other benefits.
Nigeria is the largest country in Africa in terms of population (about 206,140,000 people). It currently has 36 States and a Federal Capital Territory (Abuja).
Each State in Nigeria is headed by a Governor, while the President of Nigeria appoints a Minister that heads the Federal Capital Territory. So, Nigeria has 36 State Governors which we are going to look into their salary structure.
The salary of a State governors and other high ranking public office holders in Nigeria is always a controversial topic, as many claimed that great percentage of State allocation is spent paying State Governors and other political office holders instead of developing the States.
There is also a claim that if the jumbo salaries and allowances of state governors are reviewed downward, that there will be more money for developing Nigeria.
As opposed to what past Governors earned, the presidency adopted a new policy which reduces the take home of the State Governors. The new policy also affects other high ranking political office holders in Nigeria.
To clear the speculations and doubts, we will take you through the salary structure and allowance accrued to the Nigerian State Governors. Also check out: the Nigeria senator salary with allowances (current).
So, in balancing the equation, we shall also look at the salaries of other public office holders in the state level like the Deputy State Governors, Secretaries to the State government, and local government Chairmen.
Before we show you the state governor salary in Nigeria, let’s first look at the requirements to become a State Governor in case you have interest in becoming your State Governor in the future. Also check out the entry level salary of Nigerian Companies, Firms & Establishments.
- 1 The constitutional requirements to become a state governor in Nigeria
- 2 State Governor Salary Structure in Nigeria
- 3 Deputy governor salary in Nigeria
- 4 State Commissioner salary in Nigeria
- 5 Breakdown of Governor Allowance in Nigeria
- 6 Breakdown of Deputy State Governor Salary in Nigeria
- 7 Secretary to the State Government and Commissioner
- 8 The Salary of Local Government Chairmen
- 9 The Salary of Deputy Local Government Chairmen
- 10 The Salary of Local Government Councilors
The constitutional requirements to become a state governor in Nigeria
To be elected as Governor of a State in Nigeria, you must meet the following requirements:
- Aspirant must be a citizen of Nigeria and the indeginous of the state by birth.
Must have attained the age of 35 years.
He/she must be a member of a political party, and the party must have sponsored him/her.
Must have at least the School Certificate Level or its equivalent.
State Governor Salary Structure in Nigeria
Below is how much the state governors in Nigeria earn monthly;
The basic salary of a Nigerian State Governor is estimated to be N2.23 million per month aside from other allowances, under table shares and security votes.
Deputy governor salary in Nigeria
A deputy Governor earns N2.11 million per month aside other benefits.
State Commissioner salary in Nigeria
In Nigeria the state Commissioners earn N1.33 million per month aside from other benefits.
Note: When allowances are added to the governor’s basic allowance (N2.23m), the figure could rise to approximately N5 million per month plus under table shares and security votes.
The Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Package (RMAFP) is a welfare package that could explain more on the spending of State governor in Nigeria.
Though, RMAFP doesn’t set a limit to the allowance in foreign currency for foreign trips from the state account. Also, RMAFP doesn’t set a limit of the amount to be collected as ‘duty tour’ allowance for local trips because duty tour allowance is usually provided on request by the State governor.
After completing his tenure, a state Governor is entitled the sum of N6.67 million for his severance gratuity.
Breakdown of Governor Allowance in Nigeria
Below is the breakdown of the salary and allowance of the State Governor in Nigeria:
- Basic monthly salary: N2.23 Million.
- Leave allowance: N222,370.50.
- Vehicle loan and maintenance allowance: N8.8 Million.
- End of tenure gratuity: N6,671,115.
- Health expenses: Funded by the state government.
That’s about all on the salary and welfare package for state governors in the country.
Now, let’s take a look at the salary of the deputy Governor and other public office holders in the state.
Breakdown of Deputy State Governor Salary in Nigeria
The salary of the deputy Governor is slightly lower than the annual salary of the state Governor. Below is the breakdowns:
- Basic monthly salary: N2.1 Million
- Leave allowance: N211,000
- Vehicle loan & maintenance allowance: N8.8 Million
- Health expenses: Funded by the state government. Also check out the Nigeria Police Salary Structure And Ranks.
Secretary to the State Government and Commissioner
The breakdowns of Secretary to the State Government and Commissioner salary is as follows:
- Basic Monthly Salary: N1.4 Million
- Leave allowance: N133,000
- Furniture allowance: N4 Million
- Vehicle loan & Maintenance allowance: N5 Million
- Gratuity: N4 Million
The Salary of Local Government Chairmen
- Basic monthly salary: N900,000
- Leave allowance: N100,000
- Furniture allowance: N1.4 Million
- Vehicle loan & maintenance allowance: N3.7 Million
- Severance Gratuity: N2.8 Million.
The Salary of Deputy Local Government Chairmen
- Basic monthly salary: N800,000
- Leave allowance: N85,000
- Furniture allowance: N1.2 Million
- Vehicle loan & maintenance allowance: N3 Million
- Severance Gratuity: N2.5 Million.
The Salary of Local Government Councilors
- Basic salary: N809,300
- Furniture allowance: N1,213, 950
- Leave allowance: N80,930
- Vehicle loan N3,237,200.
- End of tenure gratuity: N2,427,900
This is why, evil did too much on politicians