Some states in Nigeria are considered favorable or advantageous for National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) members during their one-year mandatory national service. The criteria for determining the best states can vary based on individual preferences, experiences, and priorities. Before we show you list of best states for NYSC, here are some factors that are commonly considered when labeling certain states as the best for NYSC:
1. Allowance: States that offer higher allowances to Corps members are often regarded favorably. The financial support provided can significantly impact the overall experience.
2. Job Opportunities: States with ample job opportunities and career prospects are considered attractive for NYSC members seeking employment or internships during their service year.
3. Security: A safe and secure environment is required for the well-being of Corps members. States with lower crime rates and a stable security situation are generally preferred.
4. Infrastructure: Access to good infrastructure, including roads, healthcare facilities, and educational institutions, contributes to a more comfortable living experience.
5. Standard of Living: States with a reasonable cost of living and basic amenities are often preferred, as they allow Corps members to manage their stipend effectively.
6. Educational Institutions: Proximity to reputable educational institutions may be important for Corps members pursuing further studies or seeking opportunities in the academic sector.
7. Cultural and Recreational Opportunities: States with rich cultural heritage, tourist attractions, and recreational activities can provide a more engaging and fulfilling experience for NYSC members.
8. Networking Opportunities: States that offer opportunities for networking and professional development are considered beneficial for career growth. You may like to read NYSC Allowance for All States in Nigeria.
Best State for NYSC
Here are the top best state for NYSC in Nigeria:
1. Lagos State
Lagos State is undoubtedly the best state to do your NYSC in Nigeria. It happens to be the former capital of Nigeria and offers numerous opportunities for Corps members. The standard of living in Lagos state is normal, and there is no security threat. The Lagos state government pays between N10,000 and N15,000 as a state allowance to serving Corps Members in Lagos.
2. Abuja FCT
Abuja is currently the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria, ranking second on the list of best states for NYSC. Despite the high cost of living, Abuja provides job opportunities for Nigerian graduates. While Abuja does not pay a state allowance, most private companies in Abuja offer high amounts to corps members.
3. Kano State
Kano state is noteworthy on this list. Despite concerns about serving in the North due to security issues, Kano is an exception. It is considered a good state to live in, with affordable living expenses. Kano state pays N4,000 as a state allowance to Corps members serving in the state.
4. Ogun State
Ogun State is an attractive option for NYSC members, with proximity to Lagos and numerous opportunities. Despite not providing a state allowance, Ogun offers job prospects, cultural richness, and a comfortable living experience.
5. Plateau State
Plateau state is also among the best places to do your NYSC. It offers a good standard of living, and Corps members can save most of their allowance. The Corps members’ state allowance in Plateau State stands at N0.00.
6. Akwa Ibom State
Akwa Ibom State is a desirable location for NYSC. It pays state allowances to Corps members posted in the state. The state allowance in Akwa Ibom was N20,000, but it is currently N5000.
7. Enugu State
Enugu State is peaceful, and the people are kind to strangers. Enugu pays N1000 to Corps members posted to towns and N3500 to those posted to villages. There are also numerous job opportunities for graduates in the states.
8. Rivers State
Rivers State is an excellent choice for NYSC members, offering competitive state allowances, ample job opportunities in the thriving oil and gas sector, decent infrastructure, and a relatively secure environment. The state’s cultural diversity, tourist attractions, and networking opportunities make it a rewarding destination for a fulfilling service year.
9. Cross River State
Cross River State is also a choice for NYSC members, offering cultural richness, a peaceful environment, reasonable cost of living, and attractive tourist attractions like the Obudu Cattle Ranch. The state provides opportunities for networking and professional development, making it a destination for a fulfilling service year.
10. Osun State
Osun State is an appealing destination for NYSC members, known for its peaceful environment, good electricity supply, and opportunities to turn career dreams into reality. With a state allowance of N5,000, Osun offers a positive and conducive atmosphere for a rewarding service year.
Each state in Nigeria presents unique opportunities and challenges for Corps members. While factors such as state allowances, job opportunities, cultural richness, and security contribute to the overall experience, individual preferences and priorities also play a vital role in determining the best.