To get a good job in Nigeria is not a child play. For every job vacancy, there is always unimaginable number of people competing to get the job. The competition is too high, and only the fitness survive at last. In this article, I’ll show you 7 ways to get good job after your NYSC. I believe this article will help to land you to your dream job.
After graduating from the university the next is usually the one-year mandatory National Youth Service Corps (NYSC); and after NYSC, graduates are pushed to labour market where they wrestle with unemployment.
7 Ways To Get Good Job After Your NYSC
Your question should be, how do I get a good job after my NYSC?
The answers to the question are given below:
How To Get A good Job
1. Build Network with People: There is nothing more powerful than your network. Your network is actually your net-worth. Build network with people who will be more likely to help you get to your destination in life. You need to understand that one of the ways labour market works is by endorsements from people. There are many people who get to the governor of their states through network. You can even start building your network by meeting successful people around you, showing them how good and capable you are. You can easily get an endorsement and recommendation from them and that will help you on your way to get a good job after your NYSC.
Let take this example how networking works: Michael is the manager of recruiting company, but you don’t know Michael but you know Johnson, and Johnson knows Emmanuel who is friend to Michael. So, through Johnson, you will get to Emanuel and through Emanuel you will get to Michael. You will not be wrong if you call it connection.
2. Write top quality CVs: Your CV is your senior advocate, it gives the employer first impression about you. It is so unfortunate that many graduates don’t know how to write good CV instead they use CV that is totally obsolete and insufficient to apply for all the job vacancies they hear or read about. Don’t use one CV to apply for different jobs, always tailor your CV to suit a particular job descriptions.
If you are serious about getting a job after NYSC your CV is one of the first things you should be looking at, get it right! In my previous post, I talked about how to write interviews-landing CVs, and also showed some samples of good written CVs. CIick Here to check it out!
3. Offer to work for free or for little pay: I know this sounds very funny! ‘Working for free’? ‘Yes’ you heard me well, but it is not all you see is all there is! I wrote an article, titled ‘why you should accept N50k job or less after your NYSC‘, you can read it up.
Below is what you stand to gain when you work for free or for little pay;
- Since Good jobs required some years of experience, you can garner the required experience that you can use to hit your dream job.
- Assuming you walk into a company and offer to work for them for free, if you are a graduate, you may end up being offered a job by the company when there is vacancy if you have proven how good and capable you are.
4. Subscribe for e-mail updates of reputable Job Sites: There are many reputable job site in Nigeria that publishes job vacancies, you can get on their e-mail list so that so that you will be recieving regularly publish job vacancies from various companies and recruiting organizations. Study the jobs that fall within your career aspirations to know the kind of requirements and qualifications plus skills they require.
5. Follow Companies: Many good companies have website. You can follow news and information on several companies in your target job category so you can be informed on new areas of job opportunity within those companies. Since you have less to do follow up sources that will help you land a job after NYSC
6. Join LinkedIn to increase your Chances of getting good job: LinkedIn is a useful social media platform that have catapulted many to their dream job. Build a very professional profile; let your LinkIn profile be more like a resume, then connect with professionals, companies, managers etc. If you have not joined LinkedIn, try to join.
7. Submit unsolicited job applications: Yes, don’t always wait until an organization starts recruiting before you submit your job application letter. Many jobs do not appear on the papers or on the job sites. If you research a company well enough to know the decision makers and all about how you can be of help to them if they hired you, then you can write a convincing application letter to all the decision makers explaining why they should give you a job in the organization.
Tips: Using courier to deliver your letters will always make the secretaries handle it with respect and most times you may just make an impression on them and get a call.
How to get good job in Nigeria
Let me quickly give you the summary of 7 Ways To Get Good Job After Your NYSC.
- Build network with people
- Write good quality CVs
- Offer to work for free
- Subscribe for email of reputable job site
- Follow companies
- Join LinkIn
- Submit unsolicited job applications
Thank you for reading this article, remember that you need to submit a cover letter alongside your CV when applying for a job.
If you have any question or contribution, kindly use the comment section below.
Top Posts of the Week=> How to apply for NYSC/CBN loan
=> CBN promises 7-year loan for Corpers
=> How to write a CV - samples
=> 10 places to get loan in Nigeria without collateral