How To Defer Your NYSC Posting To Future Date


One thing or the other may make you to seek for ways to defer your National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) posting. Kindly note that deferring NYSC posting means to postpone your posting to a date in the future. Although, according to the NYSC laws, anyone who missed service is liable on conviction to a fine of N2,000 or 12 month imprisonment or both.

But after realizing that we are surrounded by a world of uncertainty, NYSC gave everyone a second chance to enable participate in the National Youth Service Corps program. Therefore, you can defer your service but only once. Please, don’t overdo it.

NYSC official statement on deferment of service

Below is the official statement from NYSC Directorate;


The National Youth Service Corps Management has observed with concern that some eligible Nigerian graduates who were duly mobilized and deployed for National Service have willfully refused, neglected and did not report or make themselves available for service in a manner directed by the Directorate under Section 2(1) of the National Youth Service Corps Act, Cap. N84, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

All those that are qualified and have been mobilized and deployed for National Service as stated above but did not report have evaded service. It is a criminal offence punishable under Section 13(1)(a) of the NYSC Act as follows:

“Any person;

(a) who does not report for service in the service corps in the manner directed by the Directorate, or as the case may be, prescribed under this Act;

such person is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine of N2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of 12 months or to both such fine and imprisonment.

Need Federal Govt Free-Interest Loan? =>See Here.

“However, Management has considered giving a second chance to all the defaulters.

“For the avoidance of doubt, Management of the NYSC has put every necessary machinery in place to track and prosecute any person involved in the illegal evasion of National Service.



As you can see from the above statement, there is another chance for those deferred their NYSC posting. Now, let’s show you how to defer your NYSC.

How to defer your NYSC service year

If you have completed the NYSC online registration, and being deployed to where to serve. You can defer your posting by ignoring the posting. Just ignore the posting by not going to camp, that’s all (no official form to fill). Then whenever you are ready to go for service with any batch, what you need is ‘revalidation’.

Please, don’t defer your service two times. It is only once you are allowed to do it. Doing it multiple times may attract penalties as stated above.

Also, if your name appears on the NYSC Senate list, you can defer NYSC by deciding not to register until when you are ready to serve. Provided your name is on Senate list, you can register with any Batch or year.

If you have any question, use the comment section below.

Source: Nyscinfo

Also Read:  Meet NYSC member who survives by pushing wheelbarrow

The Author


Humphery is a seasoned internet entrepreneur and a life coach. He has been the Nyscinfo ambassador since 2017. He is knowledgeable enough to guide you. Keep following this website for updates, we love you!


Add a Comment
  1. I have print out my call up letter but not ready to go, can I still defer it

    1. Hello!
      My name is Steve. I registered with the 2022 batch A stream 1. But I don’t think I will be going with that stream but with the next stream 2 of the same batch A. Do I still need to do revalidation?

  2. Pls sir,which is the best way to go abt deferring NYSC? Not to register for Batch A where ur name s bn listed? Or Register and Revalidate later wen u are ready?

  3. Pls i revalidated my mobilization early this year but am not ready for it now. Can i revalidate it again next year?

  4. It is possible to registered for 2 nysc 2020 and desired to serve next year 2021

  5. Hello.

    I submitted my name in school for NYSC mobilization last year December and my name is now on the Senate List, but I haven’t made any attempt to register since I decided to serve next year. But a friend told me I will be banned if I ignore NYSC three times… Is that true?

    1. You will not be banned but they will remove your name from the senate list. If that happens, you can approach your institution for fresh mobilization.

  6. I was mobilized and was deployed with batch A stream 1 , and I wanna follow stream 2. What Will I do

  7. I was mobilized with batch A stream 1 and I was posted to zamfara I couldn’t make it and I want to go with batch A stream 2 what should I do

  8. plz Sir, my name is on the senate list for batch A, but i want to go for bATCH B, hope i wont have a problem with dat???

    1. No, problem provided your name is on the Senate list

  9. I’ve just been posted to a northern state i never wish to be. I don’t even want to go there talk more of working my re-deployment. So please what is my BEST MOVE?

      1. Pls sir I was mobilized for stream 1 but my statement of result is not ready is it possible to go with stream 2 and what are the procedures.

  10. I don’t want to go for batch A stream 1. Can I defer and go for stream 2?

  11. Pls sir the DOB am using isn’t my original one & d mistake was done right from my primary school that y am using it & d man in charge when I did my jamb regularization change my DOB again when creating profile for me & he asked me to do affidavits & declaration of age when I talked to him so pls sir, am I good to go?

    1. Yes. you are good to go if you have registered online

  12. Pls sir all my school documents are not using my original date of birth & during my jamb regularization, the man in charge changed my DOB when creating my profile & he asked me to do affidavits & declaration of age which I did, so pls sir is there an issue & do I’ve to take my birth cert to camp or d declaration of age only.

  13. I registered completely already with batch A 2020 but I don’t want to go with stream 1, will I have the chance to go with stream 2? And how can I go about it please

    1. If they post you with Stream 1, you can defer your posting and go with Batch B but you cannot go with Stream 2.

  14. Thank you for this information. Please this rule on deferment is it a new one or it has always existed? WHAT DO I NOW DO BECAUSE IT SEEMS I HAVE FOULED THE RULE AS I HAVE DEFERRED FOR MORE THAN TWICE NOW IN 2019 DUE TO HEALTH ISSUES AS WELL AS ISSUES BEYOND MY CONTROL. AND NOW WANT TO GO WITH BATCH A 2020. BUT WITH THIS, DOES IT MEAN I WILL BE ARRESTED IN CAMP ONCE I SHOW MY FACE THERE? please, advise me on what to do. Thank you and God bless you for the wonderful work you are doing here. The deferment I mean here is that of REGISTERING without showing up at the camp

    1. Nobody will arrest you. Since you have serious reason the deferments, you are good to go.

      1. Thank you very much and God bless.

  15. Have done d registration
    Can I still postpone it till next batch

      1. Please I served only 3 months and travelled out of the country.. I wrote a letter. “suspension of service year”.what do I do if I still want to finish my service later??

  16. I started my registration for this Batch A 2020, but then I want to halt it so I haven’t choosen A preferred state of service yet and reason is cause I want to go with stream 2. Pls is der a consequence for this

  17. What if i showed up for the camp is there any possible way i can suspend the service for a while bfre i continue

  18. Can i defer even when am nt serving this year till next year or is it a must that u defer Nd must do the revalidation this year

    1. When you defer, you choose which year you want. But you cannot defer two times

  19. Very important my name appeared in the Senate list for mobilization and I don’t want to go for service in this Batch B, so what should I do now?

  20. Urgent help needed. Please I registered for batch A 2020, but now I want to go with batch B. When I’m revalidating for batch B will I get to rechoose my preferred choice states? Thanks

    1. Yes, your will be given opportunity to choose another States

  21. I was mobilised in 2019, when I registered on NYSC portal my age was 29years but unfortunately due to delay from my institution I couldn’t go to camp, Alhamdulillah I have been cleared and my name is on NYSC portal I don’t know if I could be able to register and serve?

  22. I want to go for my masters degree first before going for NYSC,but my name is on the Senate list, and also I want deferring letter, plz give me a guide

    1. You can go for your Masters, provided your name is on the Senate list you can register whenever you are ready. Read this article, How To Defer Your NYSC Posting

  23. Hi there. Good day.

    Thank you for this post. It was very helpful. Last year my name appeared on the senate list, however, I didn’t carry any further action and I want to serve in Batch A for 2020. Do I need to re-register in my school or on the portal?

    Thank you for your time and I wish you a great day.

  24. Please I need you help in advice, I just newly got a good job this December and I’m suppose to serve this January on Batch A, I sincerely don’t want to quite my job, I want to work for 1 year at least before I can start giving them excuse is there a was i can serve after one year, or get exemption

  25. Hello, if I should defer my batch C 2019 posting can I do revalidate for stream 2 batch C

  26. Can you do redeployment?? Because I want to do redeployment. Thank you

  27. Do one have to register before their names will be on the senate list?

    1. No, your institutions will upload your name on the NYSC Senate list

  28. what do i do if i dont want to go with batch c stream 1 but want to go with stream2

  29. What if I wasn’t chanced to go with stream 1 and I want to go with stream 2

  30. Very much appreciated!
    My question is that, what is my stand because my BVN name is Ahmad Muhammad only while my name on the documents is Ahmad Muhammad Ibrahim as written in my statement of result?
    I.e when it comes to account opening.
    Thank you sir

      1. What of if my name is on the NYSC Senate list and for some reasons, I don’t want to go with this batch. What should I do?

        1. And second question is: does NYSC Senate get expired? Like if someone fail to go with the batch that the Senate list out, will it affect the person during the batch of desire? And what is the responsibility of my institution on this matter??

        2. Names on Senate list doesn’t expire until you register and go for service

        3. Do not register or if you register, do not go for service. There is no special thing to do.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.