ICAN Registration Portal & Guideline: The institute of Charted Accountant of Nigeria (ICAN) is a professional body in charge of accounting regulations in Nigeria. It operates together with the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN) as the establishments for accountancy rules in the country.
ICAN was setup in 1965 with the aim of increasing capability of practitioners in the field. The organization initially began with just 260 members. Since then, the body has expanded exponentially over the years and now brag of approving more than 40,000 charted accountants who are working in various subdivisions of the Nigerian economy.
Surprisingly, many people do not know that being a practicing Chartered Account does not mean that you are a member of Institute of Chartered Account in Nigeria. To be recognized by ICAN in Nigeria, you must apply to become a member.
What this means, in order words is that, as a graduate of any university, you will need to have 3years work experience. And if you have a diploma in a different area of study or you are an AAT member, you will need 4years work experience.
As one of the regulators of professional accountants in Nigeria, undergraduates, postgraduates and graduates are looking to register and become certified by ICAN. It is for this reason that we are here to give you the information that will guide you.
Requirement for ICAN student registration
You will need a University Degree or any recognized certificate and other qualifications.
- Go to a commercial bank and pay the sum of seven thousand naira (7,000) for the profession registration fee through paydirect.
- When you are done with the payment, visit ICAN’s webpage shown on the paydirect slip you collected at the bank.
- Affix a scanned colored passport image of yourself on the registration form online.
- Print out the form when you have filled the form with all the required information.
- Select a charted accountant who will be your referee or sponsor. You will provide the person’s membership number, phone contact and name. Give photocopy of your registration form and photocopies of your certificates to your referee for approval.
- Persons using Architecture Aptitude Test and AAT will pay twenty-three thousand naira (23, 000) for initiation/conference and enclose photocopy.
Other things to provide:
- Pin voucher (original copy)
- Two certified passport images
- Original copy of the bank’s paydirect receipt.
Registring for ICAN
You can register as:
- Professional student.
- Accounting Technician Scheme West Africa (ATSWA) student or member.
How to Register for ICAN Membership
- Visit a commercial bank and pay an initiation fee of Ninety thousand naira (90,000), through PayDirect.
Visit ICAN’s portal on www.icanonline-ngr.com/paydirect.
Input your deposit slip number and receipt number on the field provided.
The system will generate a new PIN and Serial Number for you.
Input your Student’s Registration Number, PIN and Serial Number on the website.
Upload your colored passport photograph which must be on a white background and submit online.
Print and take your completed registration form and take it to your referee who will in turn, sign to approve your credentials.
Do well to ensure that you ICAN Serial Number is clearly written on the copy of your application form.
Enclose the original copy of your Confirmation/Attestation Letter(s) on company’s letterhead past and current employer (s)
your Confirmation/Attestation Letter (s) should be signed by Chartered Accountant in Establishment/External Auditor (if you are in Commerce and Industry or Government Parastatals) or a Partner (if you are in Practicing Firms).
Ensure your letter states the duration of your employment, year and months, and a sufficient areas of duties.
Download and submit the completed induction application form to the Institute of Chartered Account of Nigeria, Plot 16, Idowu Taylor Street, Victoria Island, Lagos. This should be done before the stipulated closing date.
For more information contact: [email protected] or Membership Direct Line – 01-4542097
This brings to an end, our series on how you can register for ICAN in Nigeria. We hope that the information provided so far has been helpful to you. Kindly share our articles for others to benefit.