The reason many people are not getting job is because of some common mistakes during a job search. Here we will list top 100 job search mistakes to avoid.
These mistakes are common because they are little errors that can be committed easily even without being noticed.
Some job seekers commit these errors and still feel they are putting enough exertion with the appropriate techniques and at the end of the day, they would still be disappointed because of these common mistakes.
If you are a job seeker in this category, check below and find one or more things that have been stopping your employment.
These mistakes are from different important aspects of the job search processes. It could be from your cover letter, from your curriculum vitae (resume), it could happen during an interview, and it could fall In the category of general mistakes.
Some curriculum vitae (resume) mistakes are:
The CV is the first encounter an employee would have with a prospective employer, and the first impression they say “last longer” if you must impress an employer before a getting a job at all, your CV has to be impressive.
Top 100 job search mistakes to avoid
The following are some common mistakes job seekers make while writing their resumes:
1. Choosing the wrong resume format
2. Not tailoring your CV to the job you are applying for
3. Focusing on your duty in your previous role rather than your achievement
4. Using meaningless cliches and phrases
5. Lying. for instance, exaggerating your skills or fabricating fake positions.
6. Including your headshot or passport
7. Using social graphs
8. Not taking applicant tracking systems (ATS) into account
9. Using odd fonts
10. Including salary details
11. Writing in third person
12. Bad bullet use
13. Not using an action verb
14. Including personal details
15. Confusing a CV for a novel
16. Switching between tenses
17. Using an inappropriate email address
18. Writing the wrong contact address
19. Spelling errors
20. Poor sentence construction
21. Dedicating a whole page to list references
22. Leaving out social media links
23. Wrong choice of the generic file name
24. Not proofreading
25. Not asking for feedback.
Cover letter or application letter errors
For some jobs, this is the first link between the employee and the employer. Therefore, a well-structured cover letter is very important. Below are some cover letter mistakes to watch out for.
26. Not including your contact information
27. Lack of professional salutation
28. No introduction to the hiring manager
29. Not including your most important qualifications
39. Not including a strong closing that motivates the employer to take action
40. Not including your signature
41. Not following the layout application letter instructions
42. Using the wrong format
43. Communicating why you are looking for a new job
44. Using the same cover letter for every application
45. Writing without first examining the company and position
46. Communicating unrelated work experience or a lack of experience
46. Failing to highlight your strongest or most relevant skills
47. Focusing on job duties instead of achievements
48. Talking about salary expectations
49. Lagging provision of support for claims
50. Not optimizing your cover letter with keywords
51. Reiterating information from your resume
52. Using the wrong tone or style
53. Failing to include a strong call-to-action in your closing
54. Forgetting to proofread before submitting your cover letter
Some people already have the opportunity to pass the first phase of the employment process stated above, they can make the following errors during the interview and ruin their chances of getting the job.
55. Going to the interview unprepared
56. Going late to the interview
57. Looking messy and dressing inappropriately.
58. Playing too cool
59. Being too energetic
60. Using the wrong tones and languages
61. Making the interview only about yourself
62. Not paying attention
63. Not rehearsing beforehand
64. Sharing personal details
65. being too personal with the interviews
66. Badmouthing past employers
67. Talking in cliches or phrases
68. Using your phone during interview
69. Bad sitting manner
79. Bad eating manner if it’s an interview over dinner or lunch
80. Bad body language
81. Talking too much
82. Not being prepared to answer questions about yourself.
83. Neglecting the biggest weakness question
84. Not asking any question
85. Failure to recover from a mistake
86. Neglecting the biggest question which is “any question for the team” ?
87. Failure to inquire about the next step
88. Forgetting to follow up after the interview
General job search mistakes
89. Using slang both in your CV and interview
90. unprofessional hobbies
91. Not being proactive in the job search
92. Addressing the wrong company.
93. Not adding job samples where relevant
94. Forgetting to network
95. Lack of online presence
96. Sharing too many information
97. Not making a good first impression during the interview
98. Lack of confidence
99. Inability to link your skills and experiences with the job
100. Sending unsolicited resumes.
From the above lists, you can find out your mistakes and take the necessary steps to correct them.