In this article, we shall be looking at the top 5 best Northern states to serve as NYSC member.
Remember that during the NYSC online registration, Prospective Corps members (PCM) would be asked to select four (4) states of their choice; from the 4 selected states, two states must be from Northern Nigeria, and another two states from Southern Nigeria. After NYSC will post them to any of their four chosen states.
When it comes to choosing a Northern state, Prospective Corps Members, especially those from South are usually face choice constrain as they do not know which of northern states to choose.
As someone who have served, I am sure that many prospective corps members would be searching for the best northern states to choose. This kind of search is not normal because many prospective corps members see north as a battle field.
When deciding on which states in the north to choose, your safety should be your most priority. Security consciousness influences a lot in our lives as a people. However, it is no longer news that northern Nigeria are currently not one of the most desired place to do your NYSC. This is because of the menace of Boko Haram and Fulani Herdsmen. However, on the contrary to what most people think, not all the states in North are facing security challenges. There are some states in the northern region that have continued to experience peace and safety despite the scourge of Boko Haram and other arm bandits in the region.
However, no one should be blamed for being so careful when it comes to choosing a state from north region, because the information flying everywhere suggest that no northern state is safe to live, that assertion is not true though.
If you are a prospective corps member, you’ll surely find this information indispensable as you would be required to choose at least one northern state during your NYSC online registration.
Though, it’s widely believed that the Northern states are the most dreaded region to live or do business in Nigeria, that is not true, there are still safe heavens in the northern Nigeria. It is not all places in the north that are unsafe or insecure to serve as corps member. The 5 best states in the North that I am about to show you are safe in terms of security.
Just before I show you the 5 best state in the north for your NYSC, let me quickly show you two juicy advantages of serving in the north.
Advantages of serving in the Northern Nigeria
1. Cost of Living: Living in the north is by far cheaper than living in the south. In some states in the north, with just N2,000 will get a foodstuff that will last for a week. You can spend less and earned more as a NYSC corper. I know a friend who served in Niger state, he spent only N8,000 from his NYSC per month and save the rest.
2. Business Opportunities: You can even do inter-states business in the north. For example, since things are very cheap in the north, you can buy foodstuffs in bulk, then transport it to south where you’ll sell it at higher price than you bought. So, don’t think that Lagos is the only place to do business.
Top 5 Best Northern States To Serve As NYSC member
1. Niger State: Niger state is very good for your NYSC. Nigeria state is well known for being a tourism state, Niger state houses the four major hydroelectric dams in Nigeria including the Kainji Dam. The state is one of the safest states in the northern part of Nigeria and is also the Power State. In Niger state, food items are very cheap and there is no security threat. The NYSC Orientation camp is located at paikoro. After 21 days in the Orientation camp, just pray they post you in Kianji, because in Kianji Borgu Local Government because there is constant electric power supply, maybe it’s because hydroelectric dams are located there. Also things are very cheap in Niger.
2. Abuja (FCT): Abuja is the Federal Capital of Nigeria, located in the north central. There is no security threat in Abuja, that is even where the Aso Rock is located, and for that, there is heavy presence of security personnel thereby making it almost impossible for Boko Haram and Fulani herdsmen to thrive in the state. There are also job opportunities, exposures and basic amenities. But the only disadvantages of serving in Abuja is the high cost of living. To get an accommodation in Abuja is very expensive unless your place of primary assignment provides accommodation for you. For instance, a self-contains costs between N200,000 and N600,000 per year. My brother how much is your NYSC allowance even if you save all for a year?
3. Kano State: Kano is one of the best states in the Northern Nigeria to do your NYSC. The state is located in the North west, and it is the most developed state in North west geo-political zone. There are lots of business and job opportunities for Corpers serving in Kano state. Things are also very cheap in that state. Kano is one of the biggest city in Nigeria; there is no security threat.
4. Kaduna State: Kaduna is also a good state to serve. Kaduna would have been so competing like Lagos, and Abuja but there is little religious crisis in some parts of Kaduna. There are also high chances of getting a job after your NYSC service.
5. Bauchi State: Bauchi is a peaceful state located in the north east geo-political zone. There is peace in Bauchi State, although it’s located next to Yobe and Gombe which are ravaged by Boko Haram, but believe me, Bauchi has not experience Boko Haram or Fulani Herdsmen. Corp members who are posted to Yobe or Gombe even redeployed to Bauchi for safety. But since Bauchi is in the North east, I do not know if Boko Haram will penetrate the state in future. Things are also very cheap in that state and there are so many opportunities and exposures.
Our ranking is based on the following factors:
1. Good Security
2. Business & job opportunities
3. Availability of jobs
4. Availability of Basic amenities
5. Cheap cost of living
- Best 10 States To Serve In Nigeria as NYSC Member
FACTS TO KNOW
Northern Nigeria is subdivided into three (3) namely: North West, North East and North Central.
It’s also important to note that there is a total of 19 states in the Northern Nigeria, it is from the list of these 19 states below that I picked the best 5 states for your NYSC:
Top Posts of the Week=> How to apply for NYSC/CBN loan
=> CBN promises 7-year loan for Corpers
=> How to write a CV - samples
=> 10 places to get loan in Nigeria without collateral