Are you a skilled professional Nigerian photographer working in press photography, reporting, or social media? Would you wish to cover the general elections in 2023 and are eager to hone your technical and visual literacy skills? Do you require assistance in enhancing your career plan and developing a photojournalist career?
The Alliances Françaises network in Nigeria, StoryMi Academy, Radio France International (RFI), and CFI collaborated on the 12-month project “Naija in Lights.”
- The applicants must be a young journalist under 35 years of age, employed by one or more established media outlets (private or public and on a freelance or in-house basis), or active on social media and exhibiting a certain degree of influence among young people (a number of subscribers on social networks (< 2k)).
- The applicants must be based in Nigeria and practising press or journalistic photography for at least 2 years. They sound knowledge of the basics of photography (writing captions, basic understanding of how to read an image, proficient in basic editing, etc.) and desire to become a professional photojournalist and to make a living from this profession.
- They are independent and creative and apply the rules of independence and impartiality in their photographic work.
- Equal numbers of photographers from the south (South West, South East, South South) and the north (North West, North East, North Central, Federal Capital Territory) will be included in the group of recipients, and female candidates will be given higher priority.
The selection process will take place in two stages :
1- Analysis of the online form containing the following information
- An introduction to the applicant, their career plan and their reason for participating in the project (4 pages maximum)
- A description of their photographic work with downloads of photographs with captions (min. 3 and max. 10 pictures)
- At least one reference from a person who has worked with the applicant
- Any other experience of relevance to the objectives and activities of the “Naija in Lights” project
- Letter of consent from the applicant’s supervisor if the photojournalist is employed by a media outlet
- Confirmation of availability for the entire duration of the project.
A pre-selection of applications will be made by CFI based on this material. Those who have been preselected will receive an invitation to take a test to gauge their photographic literacy.
2- Test : the applicants will be asked to
- Choose a photograph produced by another photographer and then assess and analyze it (10-15 lines)
- Submit a series of three of their own photographs on the subject of national unity.
A jury will review the applications and grade them in accordance with the following standards. Applications will be given a score out of 100, and in order to advance to the next round of the selection process, applicants must get at least 30 during phase 1.
No later than November 1st, 2022, should mark the official completion of the selecting process.
- Each beneficiary will receive 420.000 Naira in benefits (equivalent to 1000 EUR)