Did you know you could become a Registered Nurse in the UK, without having a previous healthcare background?
The NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council) in the UK permits prior learning, in any subject, to be recognised where it meets the course outcomes and requirements for applicants to apply for a pre-registration Msc. in Nursing.
What this literally means is that applying, getting accepted and studying for an Msc. Nursing in the UK gives you the license to become a registered nurse.
And, you don’t need a background in any health related course; because they accept any subject.
Pre-registration MSc Nursing in the UK is mostly spent in practice placements to gain practical nursing experience in hospitals, community homes, private clinics and community nursing teams (https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/msc-adult-nursing), and this is a two year postgraduate level course.
One such University that does this program is Bournemouth University.
The minimum classification for Nigeria is a 2:2.
So never say never to that nursing dream.
Oh, and once you can prove you studied in English, for most universities, you wouldn’t need an IELTS result to apply to study, until the NMC registration point where it’s a prerequisite, irrespective of where you studied.
There are student grants and loans available once you qualify. You could also work while studying.
Apart from the University of Bournemouth, what other Universities offer pre-registration Adult Nursing in the UK?
1. University of Plymouth
September 2022 entry open.
2. University of Cumbria
Intake: January 2023.
3. University of Lincoln
Applications for January 2022 will end by November 26, 2021.
4. University of Northumbria, Newcastle
Applications for January 2022 intake are still ongoing.
5. Teesside University (one of the cheapest)
Entry for January 2022 has ended. Next intake: January 2023
6. Glasgow Caledonian University (one of the cheapest)
Entry for January 2022 is closed. Next intake, January 2023.
7. University of Sunderland (One of the cheapest)
Please note: Msc Nursing (Pre-registration) is different from Masters in Nursing.
Do you want to work as a nurse? Now is the greatest time to begin planning, and this is when the hard work begins:
- Application: Please go to the above-mentioned schools’ websites and contact their student reps and staff via email. In the United Kingdom, there is a highly excellent computerized system, and these agents are prepared to answer any of your queries.
- Gathering Your Documents: Research the course prerequisites and documents required, and begin gathering them in advance of the application deadline.
- Statement of Purpose: You’ll need to be able to articulate why you want to be a nurse and how your values connect with those of the NMC UK. Investigate the values of the NMC UK and write a compelling SOP that will get you selected.
- References: You’ll need to provide the University with the necessary academic, professional, and character references. Let your referees know what position you’re applying for, and choose people you can trust to provide you with a forceful and beautiful recommendation.
Remember that the University has advisors who will provide you with as much information as you require throughout the process.
While you won’t need IELTS to apply to study if you can show you learned in English, the NMC demands an IELTS or OET band score before you can register as a nurse.
This means that you’ll have to take IELTS as part of your studies.
Go after your ambition of becoming a nurse!