In order to address Africa’s development challenges, the UNEP-accredited non-governmental organization 22 Green Growth Africa Sustainability Network (#GreenGrowthAfrica), formerly known as the International Support Network for African Development, is dedicated to innovation, development, and implementation of “greened” socio-economic development solutions.
Dedicated to the realization of a socially inclusive economic growth and development path that is low-carbon, climate-resilient, and resource-efficient; maintains and enhances biodiversity and ecosystems, Green Growth Africa runs an international network of professionals, researchers, and students from various fields.
#GreenGrowthAfrica is putting the “EcoHeroes Initiative” into practice in an effort to give African youths action competencies through the acquisition and application of STEM skills in addressing environmental and social challenges in their local communities and raising a new generation of 21st century green workforce skilled at developing solutions to 21st century challenges.
- Each secondary school will be represented by a team comprising of at least five (5) students and a coordinating teacher (more students and teachers are allowed depending on the nature of their project). Applications are welcome from any African country.
- Each team is expected to identify Sustainable Energy; Sustainable Aviation; and Climate Change challenges in their local (or global) communities, brainstorm and propose an idea of how they could address the challenge or meet the need.
- Only innovative and inspiring project ideas on sustainable energy, sustainable aviation and climate change will be considered. Project ideas must also express and give room for creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and other green skills.
Benefits of Green Growth Africa The EcoHeroes Initiative
- Each selected team will receive;
- Technical advisers from both local and international expertise will serve as mentors and advisors, helping to improve and aid in the implementation of the project
- (Please note: Student teams with creative project ideas for sustainable aviation may, depending on evaluations, have Pratt & Whitney employees serve as advisors.)
- Critical thinking, practical project execution, online webinar presentation, and training for capacity building
- All chosen teams will get money of up to USD 500 for the execution of their project proposal. The concepts will be cutting-edge initiatives that link various development and survival-related concerns with sustainable energy, sustainable aviation, and/or climate action (such as health, poverty, etc). Ideas for projects that involve outdoor recreation are greatly appreciated. Please be aware that the projects should be implemented over a period of three to six months.
- Certificate of participation
- Opportunity to share their projects with other secondary school students across the globe
- Leverage on the global visibility and publicity of #GreenGrowthAfrica, NAAEE, and Pratt & Whitney
- The top three “EcoHeroes” Clubs with the most inventive and significant initiatives will receive additional financial prizes after the projects are finished. These prizes will help the clubs continue to operate after the projects sponsored by the EcoHeroes Initiative are finished.
- Deadline for applications (Batch 1): January 20, 2023 (11:59HRS GMT+1)
- Deadline for applications (Batch 2): January 27, 2023 (11:59HRS GMT+1), subject to availability of funds after the consideration of applications from Batch 1 applications
Letter of support: A letter from the school’s administration expressing support for the school’s team’s involvement in the initiative and the school’s commitment to maintaining and growing the club “EcoHeroes” after the project sponsored by the EcoHeroes Initiative has been completed. The letter should also mention whether or not the school has access to electricity, internet, a projector, and a camera for high-quality, succinct video recordings.
How to Apply
Go to Green Growth Africa on thegreengrowth.org to apply
The program’s primary deadline is typically January 20, 2023 (11:59 HRS GMT+1) – Batch 1. However, given that some schools may have begun their breaks, a second deadline (Batch 2) window was established. Nevertheless, after the applications for Batch 1 have been evaluated, admittance to Batch 2 will depend on funding. Early application is therefore urged.