With an HND from a polytechnic or a Second-Class Lower [2:2] or Third-Class grade from the university, do you hope to obtain a fully supported scholarship abroad?
It is a common misconception that only candidates with First Class and Second Upper grades are eligible for fully funded Masters or PhD scholarships that can be used to study abroad. This article was written to demonstrate to you that you may receive a fully financed scholarship in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, and the rest of Europe with your HND, 2:2, or third class marks.
Look at the photographs below to see that this isn’t just a joke.
Apply For: CBN Non-Interest Loan 2023
Now that you’re sure that it’s been done, here are some tried-and-true strategies for getting your fully financed scholarship for life.
1. Get A WES Equivalent Of Your Result
The credential evaluation services of the World Educational System (WES) may translate your HND result into its bachelor’s equivalent.
By determining the U.S. equivalencies of degrees and certificates obtained abroad, WES supports educational institutions, professional licensing organizations, and businesses. Results from WES evaluation are recognized by universities all over the world. Universities require “a Bachelors degree or its equivalent” for this reason. You must have seen from the photo of the sheriff up there that his total GPA for his ND and HND degrees was a staggering 3.93/4.0.
Now, what about a 2:2 or a third-class graduate?
The courses that apply to your degree are evaluated by WES. A course-based evaluation would eliminate the uninteresting GNS/GST/GES courses or the useless courses you probably borrowed, raising your CGPA to likely a Second-Class Upper grade! . Isn’t that fascinating?
2. Enroll in a top-up postgraduate diploma, or a pre-masters degree.
Some universities have created a Mop-up degree, which is often a two-semester course that upgrades an HND degree to a BSc. The program also offers graduates from Nigerian universities a platform in an effort to improve the outcomes for individuals who, for one reason or another, were unable to excel academically while pursuing their first degree.
Top-up degree/HND conversion programs are provided by the following institutions in Nigeria (the polytechnics provide them as affiliates);
- Federal University Oye-Ekiti
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Kwara State University, Ilorin
- Bells University Abeokuta, Ogun State
- Southwestern University Nigeria Oshodi-Isolo, Ikeja
- Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State (EKSU)
- Delta State University Abraka, Delta State (DELSU)
- Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo, Oyo State
- Babcock University, Ilisha-Remo Ogun State
- Lagos State University, Ojo Lagos (LASU)
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumeni Port Harcourt, Rivers State
- Federal Polytechnic Ilaro, Ogun State (Degree Programme)
- Federal Polytechnic Ado, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State (Degree Programme)
- The Polytechnic Ibadan, Oyo State (Degree Programme)
- Best Solution Polytechnic Akure, Ondo State (Degree Programme)
- Federal Polytechnic Offa, Kawara State (Degree Programme)
- Osun State Polytechnic Ire, Osun State (Degree Programme)
- Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikorodu, Lagos (Degree Programme)
3. Amass Enough Research and Work Experience That Is Relevant
All across the world, research and work experience are essential qualifications for graduate school admittance. This is not just for underachieving pupils or those with HNDs.
Therefore, if you plan to pursue postgraduate studies overseas, your two or three-month Student Industrial and Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) programs shouldn’t be a waste of time.
Additionally, there are 6-month Industrial Training (IT) programs and a 1-year SIWES for HNDs available to university students majoring in science and technology.
4. Enroll in a master’s program
Your low Bachelors CGPA has no bearing on you if you earn a master’s degree with distinction. The individual from Kebbi who completed his master’s program with an exceptional 80% received a 2:1 overall grade. He received an Erasmus Scholarship as a result. The Chevening fellowship, the Chinese Government scholarship (ANSU), and fully financed scholarships in the USA have all been earned by others using this strategy.
Many other UK scholarships demand that applicants with a 2:2 Bachelor’s grade add an outstanding Master’s degree to their record.
5. Participate in charitable endeavors
Your CGPA only accounts for a small portion of the requirements for scholarships like Mastercard, Chevening, and Erasmus Mundus. Experiences in leadership and voluntary work also significantly help. Social media has recently been dominated by stories of youngsters with 2:2 marks getting these renowned prizes.
6. Create a Strong Personal Statement or Essay
Your personal statement serves as the selection committee’s advocate or spokesperson. If you have enough job and research experience, you can persuade the committee that your grade point average (CGPA) does not accurately represent your ability. Using this strategy, numerous individuals have obtained fully funded scholarships to the United States.
Create a compelling (Statement of Purpose) SOP that demonstrates your drive and program-related skills to land the job offer of your dreams.
Apply For: CBN Non-Interest Loan 2023