The NYSC ID Card is an essential document that serves as proof of identity for Corps members participating in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) program. But what if this ID is stolen, misplaced or lost. This article will show you how to replace a missing, stolen, damaged, or lost NYSC ID card.
Therefore, whether you’re a Corps member or seeking information on behalf of someone else, this article will help you navigate the process of requesting for a new id card.
Keep in mind that the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) provides an ID Card for every Corps member after registration in camp.
All serving corps members are expected to carry their identity cards at all times, both within and outside the orientation camp, and also when travelling.
Additionally, the NYSC ID Card is one of the documents needed for the collection of Discharge Certificates upon completion of the service year.
However, Corps members may lose their ID Cards due to various reasons before the end of service year.
Many Corps members have lost their ID cards as a result of carelessness. Additionally, since most thieves target ladies’ handbags and guys’ wallets, a Corps member may lose their ID card through these means.
How to get a new NYSC ID card
Every Corps member will be given an ID card at the NYSC orientation camp. There are two types of NYSC identity cards that are issued to Corps members.
- NYSC Temporary ID Card: This is a laminated paper with a corps member’s “state code” boldly written on it. It is meant to be used within the orientation camp premises.
- NYSC Permanent ID Card: This is a plastic identity card issued to every corps member few days to leaving the orientation camp. It is meant to be used outside the orientation camp throughout the service. Corps members are to return this card to the NYSC when their service year has expired.
Corps members will use this ID Card throughout their service year. Every Corps member will submit this ID to the NYSC for the exchange of the Discharge Certificate on Pass Out Parade (POP) day.
Now, let’s show you how to request to replace a lost NYSC ID Card.
How to replace NYSC State Code tag (temporary id card)
As said earlier the NYSC laminated state code tag (temporary id card) is only used by Corps members within the NYSC camp premises. However, if you lose your State code tag in the NYSC Orientation camp, you need to replace it with another one.
Failure to replace it may result in being unable to eat from the camp canteen and may cause trouble when trying to obtain your permanent plastic ID card or even result in forfeiting your first NYSC allowance (N33,000).
To replace your missing State Code tag, go to the registration center in camp and explain how you lost your State tag.
The NYSC officials will request your state code and other personal details. After a cross-check, they will use a black marker to write your state code on a white ID-sized paper. At the bottom, the official in charge will append their signature.
How to Replace a lost NYSC ID Card (permanent Id card)
If you lose your NYSC plastic ID Card, the process of replacing it is much more difficult than replacing the State Code tag. There are two possible ways to replace a lost NYSC ID Card;
1. Obtain a police report from nearest police station.
2. Get an affidavit from a magistrate court.
3. Make photocopies of the police report and the affidavit.
4. Write an application letter to the NYSC state coordinator. See how to write nysc request letter.
5. Attach the police report and affidavit to the letter.
6. Submit the letter to the NYSC Secretariat through your Local government inspector (LGI).
7. Pay the required fee.
Once you have followed the process above, your LGI will contact you when your new Id card is ready. But to make it faster, you can submit your application for the new nysc id card directly to the NYSC State Secretariat.
You can also apply for replacement of NYSC ID card via online. Follow the steps below:
- Go to the NYSC online portal at portal.nysc.org.ng,
- Login to your dashboard with your email and password,
- Click on “Replacement of ID card” link. This will take you to a new page where you can see your name, call up number and state code. A dialog box will open for you to explain what happened,
- Type in your request and click the send request. This will open Remita page where you will make payment. You can pay online using your bank card or at any bank branch near you with your RRR,
- Complete the payment,
- Upload a police report and the sworn affidavit.
After that, a new plastic identity card will be sent to the local government area you are serving.
Remember, it is important to report a lost NYSC ID Card promptly and follow the necessary procedures to obtain a replacement. The ID Card is crucial for various activities during your service year, and having a valid ID ensures a smooth and hassle-free experience.