In order to have a stronger impact, resources and mandates were combined to create UN Women as part of the UN reform program. It combines and expands upon the significant work of four formerly separate UN systems that were solely dedicated to empowering women and promoting gender equality.
Supporting intergovernmental organizations in the development of policies, international standards, and norms is one of UN Women’s main responsibilities. to assist Member States in putting these standards into practice, to establish strong partnerships with civil society, and to be prepared to offer appropriate technical and financial support to countries that request it.
The intern will collaborate with the Communications Unit to put the country office’s communications strategy into action, ensuring increased visibility, efficient sharing of outcomes and accomplishments, and strengthened corporate communications partnerships.
Under the overall supervision of the National Communications Officer, the intern’s task will include, but not be limited to:
- Provide support for communications support for programmes, including international day celebrations
- Develop success stories (feature stories, web articles) that capture UN Women’s impact and successes
- Carry our creative writing, copy writing and editing tasks
- Document important programmes in audio-visual materials – photos and videos
- Create eye-catching infographics, charts and diagrams that convey important information
- Design and typeset publications, including factsheets, newsletters, bulletins, cases studies, overviews, and lessons learned documents
- Design branded materials for visibility, including backdrop banners, pull-ups, media walls, t-shirts, etc.
- Develop captivating and compelling social media assets for social media platforms
- Support posting of approved content on social media and the official website
- Provide communications support for programmes, including international day celebrations
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is to provide students, individuals who are enrolled in a mandatory national service programme, and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds exposure to working with gender equality issues and a first-hand experience with the day-to-day working environment of UN Women. Under this internship, the intern will have more understanding of the WPS, WPE and WEE Agenda in Nigeria and will be expected to produce an internship report at the end of the Internship programme. Where possible, UN Women will ensure interns can participate in topics which are of particular interest to them.
- University degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field
- Advanced skills in Adobe Suite, particularly, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effect, and InDesign
- Advanced skills in Microsoft word, excel, e-mail, web-based applications and databases.
- Knowledge of UN Women/UNDP rules and procedures is an advantage Meet one of the following:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher)
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent)
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation; or
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements
- Be enrolled in a mandatory national service programme of which the internship may form a part.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required.
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage
- Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UN Women to partially subsidize their basic living costs for the duration of the internship.