The recruitment policy of the WTO is to seek to attract and retain staff members offering the highest standards of competence, efficiency and integrity. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the WTO gives full regard to merit and diversity.
This is an opportunity for a temporary contract from mid-August until December 2023. The assignment is in the WTO Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland and the incumbent is expected to be present on WTO premises. The Regular Teleworking Policy of the WTO (Administrative Memorandum No. 993) will apply as appropriate.
Within the IT Solutions Division (ITSD), reporting to the Chief, IT Infrastructure Section, the incumbent of the position will perform the following duties:
- 1. Manage, monitor and support Microsoft Active Directory system. This includes tasks for e.g. GPO creation and modification, troubleshooting in case of issues.
- 2. Manage, monitor and support WTO Servers. This includes tasks for e.g. Deployment of new servers (physical and virtual) following the SoP, troubleshooting in case of issues.
- 3. Manage network supervision and monitoring tools to ensure the availability of network services at all times.
- 4. Manage, monitor and support Teams telephony infrastructure.
- 5. Manage, monitor and support Azure cloud infrastructure.
- 6. Assist in the day-to-day operations of the infrastructure involving monitoring, pro-active maintenance, problem solving, providing 2nd level support by responding to incident and change requests, coordinating 3rd level support within existing support contracts as well as assisting in the optimisation of existing services.
- 6. Assist other Network and System Engineers and Project Managers on specific tasks assigned and act as a back-up resource for the IT Infrastructure team in their areas of responsibilities.
- 7. Research online, attend technical briefings and keep up to date with fast moving technological changes through courses, seminars and self-training in order to provide suitable solutions and technical support.
- 8. The incumbent, after a short integration period will be required to work independently and assume the assigned responsibilities. This will require regular interaction with IT Service Desk and other sections including IT Security team within the ITSD.
The WTO IT environment consists of around 1300 users/computers and 90 servers.
About World Trade Organisation (WTO)
The World Trade Organization (WTO) is the only global international organization dealing with the rules of trade between nations. At its heart are the WTO agreements, negotiated and signed by the bulk of the world’s trading nations and ratified in their parliaments. The goal is to ensure that trade flows as smoothly, predictably and freely as possible. The WTO has many roles: it operates a global system of trade rules, it acts as a forum for negotiating trade agreements, it settles trade disputes between its members and it supports the needs of developing countries.
Benefits of WTO Network and Telecom Engineer Internship Program
- Interns receive a daily allowance of CHF 60 (including week-ends and official holidays falling within the selected period). Travel expenses to and from Geneva cannot be paid by the WTO, and such travel is not covered by the Organization’s insurance.
- Medical health insurance coverage is mandatory in Switzerland, and interns are responsible for organizing their own health insurance prior to commencing their internship at the WTO.
Requirements for WTO Network and Telecom Engineer Internship Program Qualification
Education: An advanced university degree with specialization in IT Network and Operations, or basic university degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field combined with work experience equivalent to an advanced university degree.
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
At least extensive knowledge in two of the following areas:
1. Microsoft Active Directory, Security permissions management, DNS, DHCP, and DNS.
2. Server OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2016/2019/2022 and Redhat Enterprise Linux 7/8.
3. ITIL processes especially Incident, Change and Problem Management.
Good knowledge of the following:
• LAN/WAN and Internet technologies as well as TCP/IP protocol.
• Teams telephony system.
• Linux Redhat in Enterprise environments.
Working knowledge of Video Conferencing solutions like Zoom and WebEx.
Knowledge of main Azure services (application gateway, app service, SQL) would be considered an advantage.
Behavioural Skills: The incumbent must have the ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a demanding situation and make sound decisions. He/she must be capable of working under stress and in an autonomous manner.
The following interpersonal capabilities are required: ability to present technical facts to knowledgeable specialised audiences; to persuade others to a point of view using fact; to establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues; to communicate information in a clear way; to make technical presentations; to work as a member of a team while working independently to achieve his/her objectives.
Work Experience: Excellent knowledge and at least two years’ experience at the level of an enterprise environment of similar size as described above.
Language: Proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of an additional working knowledge of the WTO (French, Spanish) is an asset.
Additional Information: Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted.
A candidate must:
- Be a national of a WTO member state or a country or customs territory engaged in accession negotiations
- Have completed his/her undergraduate studies in a relevant discipline and have completed at least one year of his/her postgraduate studies
- Be at least 21 years old and a maximum of 30 years old during the internship.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to World Trade Organisation (WTO) on wto.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com to apply
Candidates should submit their applications through the WTO external jobs platform and only candidates selected for interview are contacted. The system provides instructions for online application procedures. A roster of suitable candidates is maintained from which interns are selected. Suitable applications are maintained on the roster for one year.
Intake to the WTO Internship Programme is on an ongoing basis, with no specific recruitment period. However, there may be specific vacancy notices for internship positions requiring particular qualifications and skillsets published on the WTO’s e-Recruitment website.
For more details, visit WTO website on http://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/vacan_e/iypp_e.htm#WTO_Internship