Are you a Prospective members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)? Have you completed your ‘Final Clearance’ at your Institutions of graduation? If ‘yes’, go through this NYSC camp preparation guide.
You are welcome once again to this great platform where only confirmed information are being shared. Many corps members contributed so greatly in the past toward building our great country. Now, that you’re about to answer the Clarion Call, we wish you the best of service.
Do not mind those who are trying to create an impression that NYSC is a scam. Please, note that the National Youth Service Corps is never a scam. Please, serve Nigeria from the bottom of your heart, not minding what people may say.
NYSC Orientation Camp Requirements
First, NYSC stands for; National Youth Service Corps [Corps is being pronounced as ‘Core’, the ‘p’ and ‘s’ are silent]. NYSC is a compulsory one year service programme to Nigeria. Every Nigerian that graduated from higher institution before the age of 30 years are mandatory to serve. Also check how NYSC calculate age limit for mobilization.
Before you qualify for NYSC, you must possess a Bachelor Degree or HND from any accredited Institution within or outside Nigeria. Those who got certificate from any Institution outside Nigeria, are refer as Foreign Trained’ Graduate, while those who got their certificates from Institutions in Nigeria are called Locally Trained Graduates.
NYSC programme is usually conducted three times in a year which comprises Batch A, B & C. The NYSC Orientation Camp exercise last for the duration of 3 weeks (21days). The 21st day is the day that NYSC will discharge you from the orientation camp to Place of Primary Assignment (PPA) where you will spend the rest of the months.
Once you see your name on the NYSC Senate List, ensure you follow the guidelines below:
1) Buy your NYSC kit early to avoid last minute rush. The following kit will be given to you in camp: two white T-shirts, two shorts, a pair of tennis shoes, two pairs of white socks and NYSC 7 over 7, but you still need to buy extra; because the ones provided at the NYSC orientation camps are of poor qualities and over size.
2) Get the following documents ready:
- Degree/HND Statement of Result or certificate.
- Valid School ID Card
- White background passport photograph (8 copies).
- Call-Up Letter (Do not laminate it)
- Green Card (Do not laminate it)
- Marriage documents (for married women only)
- All the uploaded documents (for foreign trained graduates only)
3) You need to buy a high capacity power bank to keep your phone fully charged.
4) Buy small rechargeable touch light. That’ll make your stay at the NYSC orientation camp smooth.
5) If you are posted to a far state, especially to the northern part of Nigeria, try and find friends, who may be heading towards the same direction. Two good heads are said to be better than one.
7) It is advisable to go camp the day before the date camp will open as going late will make the registration stressful and difficult.
Things To Expect at the NYSC Orientation Camp
As soon as you enter the NYSC orientation camp gate, you will see security people at the gate. Your screening starts right at the entrance gate. Don’t be afraid, just follow orders.
1. The security men at the gate will ask for your callup letter. After seeing it, they will thoroughly search your luggage as to make sure you do not enter with camp restricted items.
2. The first registration is usually for hostel or bed space. Security men at the entrance gate would give you identification tag. Do not misplace your tag as it would be required at the hostel or bed space registration point. After getting your hostel & backspace, other registrations will follow.
3. NYSC Kits/uniform: NYSC will provide all your kits during registration. To deter camp thieves from stealing your kits, use a permanent marker to write your name or ‘Code Number’ on each of them. Code Number would be given to you during registration phase at the NYSC orientation camp.
4. Casual wears are not allowed at the NYSC orientation camp exception Sundays on Sundays. So, once you get your kits, put them on immediately and run to the parade ground. The usual wears are White rounds neck T-shirt, white short, white socks, white canvas and cap.
The only time you will put the NYSC khaki uniform is during swearing in ceremony, Camp POP and other official ceremonies day.
5. Regimented camp life: The NYSC orientation camp is regimented. For example, if you are the type that usually wake up late, then you would have to adjust yourself because parade starts at 4:00am, so you need to wake up as early as 3:30am, so as to get prepared.
Once it is 4:00am, a bugle (trumpet) will sound, and soldiers will invade every hostel. If you are caught in hostel at that time, severe punishment would be given to you by the soldiers.
Praises and worship for different religions start around 4:30am after parade follows.
At 8:00am, morning parade will end, and you go for your breakfast. After taking your breakfast, SEAD lectures comes. After SEAD lectures, you go for lunch. After lunch, evening parade follows.
There are so many to add, but I’ll stop here for now. If you have any question or contribution, kindly use the comment section.
Above is the NYSC orientation camp requirements & Preparation, you can download NYSC anthem below.